This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Here is a simple, tasty recipe for Moroccan Roasted Carrots- a delicious vegan side dish that is full of great flavor! The carrots are caramelized in a very hot oven then tossed in an orange-cumin–cinnamon dressing. Tangy, sweet and spicy and deliciously caramelized they are the perfect pairing with whatever you are serving up!
How to make Moroccan Roasted Carrots
Hope you enjoy these Roasted Moroccan Carrots as much as we have!
More carrot recipes you may enjoy!
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Simple Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted Carrots with Tahini Sauce
- Moroccan Carrot Soup
- Moroccan Carrot Salad with Pistachio and Mint
- Easy Vegan Bombay Carrot Salad Recipe
- North African Carrot Soup with Chermoula
- Orecchiette with Creamy Carrot Miso Sauce
A simple recipe for Moroccan Roasted Carrots- served as a side dish or over lentils for a Moroccan-inspired vegetarian Bowl. From America’s Test Kitchen- Complete Mediterranean Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 lbs whole carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo chili pepper ( or sub chili flakes or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro ( or Italian parsley)
- orange zest
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Scrub or peel the carrots then cut into 3-4 inch pieces. Cut in half length-wise, and quarter the thicker pieces so all are relatively the same thickness ( no bigger than ½ inch thick).
- In a small bowl mix oil, sugar, salt and pepper. The brown sugar will help the carrots caramelize. Toss this with the carrots and spread out in a single layer on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring the carrots halfway through. Carrots should be tender and slightly caramelized.
- Whisk the orange juice, aleppo chili pepper, cumin and cinnamon.
- Toss with dressing with the roasted carrots and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley and orange zest.
- To serve over Simple Seasoned Lentils – Cook 1 cup lentils with 3 cups water, 1 teaspoon granulated garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon coriander (or cumin).
- Bring to a boil. Cover, simmer on low until tender, 25-35 minutes ( depending on lentil size). When tender, uncover if need be, reduce liquid by turning heat up, then drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve carrots over a bed of lentils, drizzle with plain yogurt and fresh herbs.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 10.9 g
- Sodium: 409.3 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.6 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: moroccan carrots, roasted carrots, moroccan roasted carrots, how to roast carrots, vegan side dish,