Vegan Lentil Walnut Cakes topped with mushrooms and flavorful Zhoug Sauce! A simple tasty vegan dinner recipe that is high in protein!
This simple tasty recipe for Vegan Lentil Cakes is easy to make and full of great flavor. Serve them up as a hearty vegan main alongside your favorite grain and Everyday Kale Slaw for a healthy nutritious meal. For an extra burst of flavor top with sautéed mushrooms, Green Tahini Sauce or my new favorite Zhoug Sauce!
And a little time-saving tip – pre-cooked lentils can be found at Trader Joe’s and other upscale markets, cutting the overall cooking time in half.
The Vegan Lentil Cakes also make great veggie burgers!
What you’ll need
- 2 cups cooked lentils (do not use split lentils)
- olive oil
- red onion
- rolled oats
- walnuts (or sub pecans )
- ground flax ( or sub an egg)
- parsley or cilantro
The Lentil Cakes can be made ahead, refrigerated or frozen and can be reheated for healthy midweek meals.
How to serve Lentil Cakes:
- Top them with sautéed mushrooms
- Drizzle with Zhoug Yogurt
- Drizzle with Green Tahini sauce
- Drizzle with Everyday Tahini Sauce
- Turn them into a burger with your favorite fixings.
Try with Zhoug Yogurt!
Here is a recipe for Zhoug, an Israeli condiment made with spicy green chilies that can be made at home, and can also be found at many upscale markets as well as Trader Joes. Here it’s mixed with vegan yogurt, mellowing it out a bit.
We use this a lot a home!
This lemony Everyday Kale Slaw with a simple lemon dressing is an easy tasty side dish for these lentil cakes and can be made ahead, and then used daily with other meals throughout the busy week. Serve the Lentil Cakes over your favorite grain or try this Everyday Quinoa!
Hope you enjoy these tasty Vegan Lentil Cakes and please leave your comments below!
More recipes you may like:
- Sagey Mushroom Walnut Roast
- Our 25 BEST Lentil Recipes!
- Emerald Dal
- Vegan Lentil Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce
- 2 cups cooked lentils ( black, brown, green- do not use split lentils)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced (or sub 1 large shallot)
- 4–6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup rolled oats- gluten-free if you prefer
- ½ cup walnuts (or sub pecans or cashews)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax ( or sub an egg)
- 3 tablespoons water ( leave this out if using the egg)
- 1 tablespoon Braggs Liquid Amino’s (or 2 teaspoons soy sauce)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley or cilantro
Cook ⅔ -¾ cup dry lentils (do not use split lentils) in simmering water until tender. Drain. You will need 2 cups cooked.
In the meantime, sauté the onion, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add a little water if it gets too dry. Turn heat down to low and cook until very tender and cooked through. Set aside.
In a food processor, blend the oats into coarse flour. Add walnuts, pulse 10 times. Add half of the lentils, half of the mushroom mixture, salt, spices, ground lax, water, (or egg and no water) and pulse repeatedly until it’s well combined and forms a thick dough. If mixture seems overly wet pulse in a little more oats. It doesn’t need to be smooth…a little texture is good here! Scrap into a medium bowl and stir in the remaining cooked lentils and fresh herbs. ( Save the remaining mushrooms for serving time.)
Using wet hands form into 8-10 little cakes or 4-5 burger patties.
Sear in a skillet, in a little oil, over medium heat, taking care to let them brown and form a crust, before flipping. (FYI This will ensure they don’t stick to the skillet. As they form a crust, they release from the pan almost naturally.)
Serve with the remaining mushrooms and optional Zhoug Yogurt ( vegan adaptable).
Keywords: vegan lentil patties, lentil patties, lentil cakes, vegan lentil cakes, vegan lentil recipes,