Lentil salad with apples, celery root and a delicious, toasted cumin seed dressing. This healthy vegan salad can be made ahead for midweek lunches or fall potlucks and gatherings.
Here’s a simple fall salad recipe, Lentil Salad with Celeriac and Apple and a toasted Cumin Seed Dressing, that is not only tasty but also filling, healthy and satisfying. It’s a great introduction to celeriac if you’ve never had the courage to get beyond its rugged exterior. This salad comes together especially quickly if you pre-cook the lentils ahead of time or purchase pre-cooked lentils, which seem to be everywhere these days. It also keeps really well, holding up for a few days, so a good option for make-ahead lunches.
If you can’t get your hands on celeriac, feel free to substitute celery or even shaved fennel. And if you’re going down the celeriac road for the first time and want to try more things with this underused humble vegetable, here’s a Celeriac Soup recipe, that will win over even the toughest of customers. One of my favorites, for sure.
Peel the celeriac with a sharp pairing knife, because the tough skins are difficult to peel with a vegetable peeler.
Thinly slice into ⅛ inch slices, then cut into thin match sticks.
If the tops and leaves are still attached, chop these and add to the salad, they too offer good flavor.
In a large bowl, add the lentils, celeriac, apples, celeriac, parsley, onion.
Make the dressing…toasting the cumin seeds beforehand.
Then toss the dressing with the salad, and let it marinate for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh Italian parsley.
Add walnuts for extra heartiness if you like.
A simple, hearty vegan salad, perfect for fall!
Have a beautiful week!Print
Lentil Salad with Apples and Celery Root
Celery root, apple and lentil salad with a cumin seed dressing. This healthy vegan salad can be made ahead for midweek lunches or fall potlucks and gatherings. #lentilsalad #vegansalad #fallsalad #celeryroot #celeriac #applesalad
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Salad, vegan gluten-free
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 3 cups Cooked Lentils, cooled. ( French Green, Black Caviar, or Brown lentils- do not use red or split lentils)
- 1 apple
- 1 medium celeriac root (or sub 2 celery stalks)
- 1 celeriac top and leaves (or use 1 celery stalk)
- ¼ chopped Italian parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onion (or green onion)
- ¼ cup toasted nuts – optional
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons toasted cumin seeds (or 2 tsp ground)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon or stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Place cooked lentils in a large bowl.
- Peel celeriac (saving the leafy top) using a paring knife and cut into ⅛ inch slices, then cut those slices into long thin match sticks (if using celery, just slice thinly). Place in the bowl with the lentils.
- Cut the apple the same way, into long match sticks, leaving the peel on. Place in the bowl.
- Finely dice the onion, place in the bowl.
- Slice the celeriac top or celery stock, add to bowl.
- Add half of the chopped Italian parsley, saving the rest for garnish.
- Mix the all dressing ingredients in a small bowl incorporating the honey, remembering to toast the cumin seed until fragrant. Fold the dressing i with the lentil mixture. Let sit 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.Adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- To serve, place in a bowl or platter, scatter with fresh Italian parsley. Sometimes I’ll add walnuts to this for extra heartiness.
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cup
- Calories: 245
Keywords: lentil salad, fall salad, celery root recipes, celeriac salad, apple salad, vegan lentil salad, potluck salad,