Lentil Salad with Spples, walnuts, celery root and a delicious, toasted Cumin Seed Dressing. This healthy vegan salad can be made ahead for midweek lunches or potlucks and gatherings. Vegan and GF!
Many of you have been telling me how much you love lentil recipes! Here’s a flavorful fall salad recipe, Lentil Salad with Apple, celeriac, walnuts, and a toasted cumin seed dressing, that is not only tasty but also filling, healthy and satisfying. It’s a great introduction to celeriac if you’ve never had the courage to get beyond its rugged exterior.
This lentil salad comes together especially quickly if you pre-cook the lentils ahead of time or purchase pre-cooked lentils, which seem to be everywhere these days. It also keeps really well, holding up for a few days, so a good option for make-ahead lunches.
If you can’t get your hands on celeriac, feel free to substitute celery or even shaved fennel. And if you’re going down the celeriac road for the first time and want to try more things with this underused humble vegetable, here’s a Celeriac Soup recipe, that will win over even the toughest of customers. One of my favorites, for sure.
Peel the celeriac with a sharp paring knife, because the tough skins are difficult to peel with a vegetable peeler.
Thinly slice into ⅛ inch slices, then cut into thin match sticks.
If the tops and leaves are still attached, chop these and add to the salad, they too offer good flavor.
In a large bowl, add the lentils, celeriac, apples, celeriac, parsley, onion.
Make the dressing…toasting the cumin seeds beforehand.
Then toss the dressing with the Lentil Apple salad, and let it marinate for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh Italian parsley.
Add walnuts for extra heartiness if you like. Pecans will work here too!
Hope you enjoy this Lentil Apple Salad- a simple, hearty vegan salad, perfect for fall!
Have a beautiful week!
More lentil recipes you may like:
- Indian Spinach Salad with Lentils & Cauliflower
- Moroccan Lentil Salad
- Simple Braised French Lentils
- Lentil Tabouli Salad
- Our 25 BEST Lentil Recipes!
Lentil Salad with celery root, apples, walnuts and a cumin seed dressing. This healthy vegan salad can be made ahead for midweek lunches or fall potlucks and gatherings.
- 3 cups Cooked Lentils, cooled. ( French Green, Black Caviar, or Brown lentils– do not use red or split lentils)
- 1 apple, sliced or diced
- 1 medium celeriac root (or sub 2 celery stalks), match stick or small dice
- 1 celeriac stalk and leaves (or use 1 regular celery stalk), chopped
- 1/4– 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onion (or green onion)
- Place cooked lentils in a large bowl.
- Peel celeriac (saving the leafy top) using a paring knife and cut into ⅛ inch slices, then cut those slices into long thin match sticks (if using celery, just slice thinly). Place in the bowl with the lentils.
- Cut the apple the same way, into long match sticks, leaving the peel on. Place in the bowl.
- Finely dice the onion, place in the bowl.
- Slice the celeriac stalk or celery stalk, add to bowl.
- Add half of the chopped Italian parsley, saving the rest for garnish.
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl incorporating the honey, remembering to toast the cumin seeds until fragrant. Fold the dressing in with the lentil mixture. Let sit 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
- Adjust salt and pepper if necessary, adding more to taste. Add cayenne if you like.
- To serve, place in a bowl or platter, scatter with fresh Italian parsley.
Feel free to swap out pecans for walnuts- or leave out.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
Keywords: lentil apple salad, vegan lentil salad, lentil recipes, lentil salad, fall salad, celery root recipes, celeriac salad, apple salad, vegan lentil salad, potluck salad,