This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This flavorful Moroccan Lentil Salad is infused with fragrant spices, crunchy celery, toasted almonds, dried apricots and loads of fresh herbs- a healthy vegan salad that can be made ahead- perfect for midweek lunches! Vegan and GF. Video.
Sometimes you’ll never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. ~Dr. Seuss
Here’s another make-ahead vegan salad I think you will fall in love with- Moroccan Lentil Salad. I love the flavors and spices in this salad, and how energized I feel after eating it. Lentils are high in protein and are considered a “slow-metabolizing” carbohydrate- the kind of carb that has so many health benefits. Plus I’m just a huge fan of lentils. ( If you are too, make sure to take a peek at these 25 Lentil Recipes.)
Health aside, this lentil salad just tastes yummy. So this is what I like to do- meal prep a couple of healthy salads ahead, to always ensure we have something nutritious in the fridge in case of hunger “emergencies” when many good intentions go out the window. 🙂
Moroccan Lentil Salad Video
Lentil Salad Ingredients:
Today I used Black lentils but any whole lentil will work here along with dried apricots (un-sulfured if possible, or sub dates!), celery, chopped red onions ( which you can soak in saltwater if you have problems digesting), toasted almonds, fresh herbs -cilantro, mint or parsley- and orange zest.
The Moroccan dressing is infused with cinnamon, cumin and ground clove– very flavorful!
Why I love this Lentil Salad Recipe
- It’s so easy to make – pretty much just toss it all in a bowl and let the flavors meld.
- The leftover salad tastes better and better each day.
- Can be made ahead! Perfect for gatherings and potlucks or midweek meals.
- It’s vegan and gluten-free!
More recipes you may enjoy
- Lentil Salad with Spring Veggies, Mint and Yogurt
- Lentil Salad with Apples, Walnuts and Celery Root
- Beet, Lentil and Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
- Indian Spinach Salad with Lentils & Cauliflower
- Celery Salad with Lentils, Dates and Almonds
- Lentil Tabouli Salad
- 35 Easy Delicious Potluck Ideas
Hope you enjoy this Moroccan Lentil Salad as much as we have! Let us know what you think in the comments below
Happy summer! 🙌
Moroccan Lentil Salad
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: vegan salad, legumes, lentil recipes
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: moroccan
- Diet: Vegan
The BEST Lentil Salad infused with Moroccan Spices, this healthy vegan lentil salad can be made ahead and keeps for 4 days, perfect for healthy midweek lunches!
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 4 cups cooked lentils (1 1/2 cups dry- do not use split lentils– use whole black lentils, brown lentils, green lentils )
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped or slivered, toasted
- 1 cup cilantro or flat-leaf parsley (or use part mint, or a blend of all three, chopped
- zest and juice of one orange
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, or sub sherry vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (use a garlic press)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch or two chili flakes (optional, but good)
- Cook lentils according to package directions (see notes, feel free to do ahead)
- If sensitive to onions, chop and place in a bowlful of cold, salted water.
- Place lentils, celery, apricots, almonds, drained onions, herbs and orange zest in a large bowl. Squeeze with the orange juice.
- Mix dressing ingredients into the bowl. If using honey, mix dressing ingredients separately (easier). Toss with salad ingredients.
- Taste, adjust salt and add chili flakes if you like. I usually add a little more salt after this sits a while.
This is will keep 4 days in the fridge.
To cook lentils: Use the pasta method. Bring 1 1/2 cup lentils (dry) and 6-8 cups salted water, to a boil, lower heat, simmer uncovered until just tender. Don’t overcook. Little black lentils cook very fast! 12-16 minutes, depending on size. Strain, let cool.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 359
- Sugar: 21.7 g
- Sodium: 337.3 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 50.6 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 14.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan lentil salad, best lentil salad, moroccan lentil salad, lentil salad, black lentil salad, lentil recipes
Delicious, complex blend of flavors! We were nervous of the cloves but they’re a must. Have made this recipe several times and always a hit. Thank you!
So happy to hear JC!
The perfect lentil salad !
I was wondering if you could make this something other than the lentils for variety..edamame, farro?
Hi Janet- I don’t see why not? Give it a go!
I made this recipe again for a family reunion and it was a huge hit! No leftovers! For the lazy cooks out there, I used orange juice instead of a fresh orange + zest and it was just as good as the original. Thanks, I love your recipes!
Forgot to put the 5 stars!
Thanks so much!
Great to hear!
Yum!!! This is fantastic! I have a celery hater in my home so I substituted fresh fennel. I’m going to have to make a double batch next time if I want any leftovers for the week. Thank you!
Fennel sounds great! Glad you enjoyed!
This is a delicious recipe! It has become one that we go to quite often! Same for a friend I shared it with. She loved it to and said it would be one of her new go to recipes. Thanks!
Thanks so much Charlotte!
This recipe is delicious. I used very little oil and kept everything else the same. Will be a regular meal for sure. Would this recipe freeze well?
Great to hear Eva. Not sure how the herbs would fare when frozen? Maybe add those after?