This flavorful Moroccan Lentil Salad is infused with fragrant spices, crunchy celery, toasted almonds, dried apricots and loads of fresh herbs- a healthy vegan salad that can be made ahead- perfect for midweek lunches! Vegan and GF. Video.
Sometimes you’ll never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. ~Dr. Seuss
Here’s another make-ahead vegan salad I think you will fall in love with- Moroccan Lentil Salad. I love the flavors and spices in this salad, and how energized I feel after eating it. Lentils are high in protein and are considered a “slow-metabolizing” carbohydrate- the kind of carb that has so many health benefits. Plus I’m just a huge fan of lentils. ( If you are too, make sure to take a peek at these 25 Lentil Recipes.)
Health aside, this lentil salad just tastes yummy. So this is what I like to do- meal prep a couple of healthy salads ahead, to always ensure we have something nutritious in the fridge in case of hunger “emergencies” when many good intentions go out the window. 🙂
Moroccan Lentil Salad Video
Lentil Salad Ingredients:
Today I used Black lentils but any whole lentil will work here along with dried apricots (un-sulfured if possible, or sub dates!), celery, chopped red onions ( which you can soak in saltwater if you have problems digesting), toasted almonds, fresh herbs -cilantro, mint or parsley- and orange zest.
Why I love this Lentil Salad Recipe
- It’s so easy to make – pretty much just toss it all in a bowl and let the flavors meld.
- The leftover salad tastes better and better each day.
- Can be made ahead! Perfect for gatherings and potlucks or midweek meals.
- It’s vegan and gluten-free!
Hope you enjoy this Moroccan Lentil Salad as much as we have! Let us know what you think in the comments below
Happy summer! 🙌
The BEST Lentil Salad infused with Moroccan Spices, this healthy vegan lentil salad can be made ahead and keeps for 4 days, perfect for healthy midweek lunches!
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 4 cups cooked lentils (1 1/2 cups dry- do not use split lentils– use whole black lentils, brown lentils, green lentils )
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped or slivered, toasted
- 1 cup cilantro or flat-leaf parsley (or use part mint, or a blend of all three, chopped
- zest and juice of one orange
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, or sub sherry vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (use a garlic press)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch or two chili flakes (optional, but good)
- Cook lentils according to package directions (see notes, feel free to do ahead)
- If sensitive to onions, chop and place in a bowlful of cold, salted water.
- Place lentils, celery, apricots, almonds, drained onions, herbs and orange zest in a large bowl. Squeeze with the orange juice.
- Mix dressing ingredients into the bowl. If using honey, mix dressing ingredients separately (easier). Toss with salad ingredients.
- Taste, adjust salt and add chili flakes if you like. I usually add a little more salt after this sits a while.
Keywords: vegan lentil salad, best lentil salad, moroccan lentil salad, lentil salad, black lentil salad, lentil recipes