Lentil Salad with celery root, apples, walnuts and a cumin seed dressing. This healthy vegan salad can be made ahead for midweek lunches or fall potlucks and gatherings.
- 3 cups Cooked Lentils, cooled. ( French Green, Black Caviar, or Brown lentils– do not use red or split lentils)
- 1 apple, sliced or diced
- 1 medium celeriac root (or sub 2 celery stalks), match stick or small dice
- 1 celeriac stalk and leaves (or use 1 regular celery stalk), chopped
- 1/4– 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onion (or green onion)
- Place cooked lentils in a large bowl.
- Peel celeriac (saving the leafy top) using a paring knife and cut into ⅛ inch slices, then cut those slices into long thin match sticks (if using celery, just slice thinly). Place in the bowl with the lentils.
- Cut the apple the same way, into long match sticks, leaving the peel on. Place in the bowl.
- Finely dice the onion, place in the bowl.
- Slice the celeriac stalk or celery stalk, add to bowl.
- Add half of the chopped Italian parsley, saving the rest for garnish.
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl incorporating the honey, remembering to toast the cumin seeds until fragrant. Fold the dressing in with the lentil mixture. Let sit 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
- Adjust salt and pepper if necessary, adding more to taste. Add cayenne if you like.
- To serve, place in a bowl or platter, scatter with fresh Italian parsley.
Feel free to swap out pecans for walnuts- or leave out.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
Keywords: lentil apple salad, vegan lentil salad, lentil recipes, lentil salad, fall salad, celery root recipes, celeriac salad, apple salad, vegan lentil salad, potluck salad,