Simple delicious, Braised Lentils with Beets – a healthy vegan stew or soup, that can be served on its own, or as a side dish to fish, chicken or meat. Vegan and Gluten free!
Braised Lentils with Beets
Beet braised lentils – a healthy vegan stew, soup or side dish, that is full of incredible flavor! Serve this on its own as a vegan main, or a along side fish, chicken or meat.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Vegan main, side dish,
- Method: Braised
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion (½ a red onion)
- 1 cup diced carrot
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 cup peeled and diced beet (one large beet, plus 2 more for juicing)
- 4 cloves garlic-rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups black caviar lentils , beluga lentils or Puy lentils (soaked overnight if possible)
- 4 cups vegetable stock ( or chicken stock)
- ½ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, more to taste
- 1 cup fresh beet juice (either purchase from a juice bar, or juice 2 extra large beets) or sub more stock
Optional Garnishes 2- 3 tablespoons browned butter (optional but delicious) or crumbled goat cheese
Add the beet juice, taste for salt, add more if necessary, and continue simmering on low for 10-15 more minutes or until tender. If you feel there is too much liquid for your liking, keep the lid off, and increase the heat, letting it reduce. ( I like this braise slightly juicy, personally, so I just replace the lid.)
Stir in the balsamic vinegar and taste again, adjusting if necessary.
Serve with optional browned butter or goat cheese crumbles. If going vegan, a little drizzle of olive oil is nice.
Serve as vegan main dish or as a side dish to fish, chicken or meat.
Keywords: Lentil Soup Recipes, braised lentils, lentil stew, lentil recipes, beet and lentil soup, vegan lentil soup recipe