These Simple Salmon Cakes are quick and easy -a simple pantry recipe that can be whipped up in 20 minutes, perfect for midweek meals. The recipe features 3 different variations – Asian Salmon Cakes, Mediterranean Salmon Cakes and Nordic-style Salmon Cakes!
When I rise up, let me rise up joyful like a bird. When I fall, let me fall without regret like a leaf. ~Wendell Berry
Simple Salmon Cakes made with pantry ingredients, designed for weeknight meals when time is short. Of course fresh salmon always makes for the best salmon cake, but in a pinch, canned salmon, pulled from the pantry can be a life total savor!
Serve the salmon cakes up with a hearty portion of salad or this crunchy Asian Slaw!
Watch how to make salmon cakes!
How to make Salmon Cakes:
- Simply mix the ingredients in a bowl, and form the cakes. This recipe makes two cakes. I normally use toasted bread crumbs as the binder, but feel free to experiment with gluten-free flour.
Here above is the Nordic version of Salmon Cakes with dill and capers and a Creamy Dill Sauce.
I’ve also found that the quality of the canned salmon, does make a difference.
Serving the salmon cakes with a hearty portion of slaw is an easy fast way to add healthy nutritious veggies to a meal. Here’s the recipe for the Asian Slaw in the photos.
In the Asian-style Salmon cakes below I’ve added ginger and coated them in sesame seeds for a nice crispy crunch.
Use this basic Salmon Cake recipe as a base for your own versions! I’m excited to see what you create!
More recipes you may like:
- Soba Noodle Salad with Smoked Salmon ( or Tofu)
- 20 Simple Healthy Fish &. Seafood Recipes
- Simple Salmon Chowder
- Picante Tuna Salad!
- Tuscan White Bean & Tuna Salad with Arugula
This recipe for Quick and Easy Salmon Cakes is designed for weeknight dinners when time is short. Of course fresh salmon always makes for a better salmon cake, but in a pinch, canned salmon, pulled from the pantry can be a life savor! Here are three variations – Asian Style, Mediterranean style and Nordic Style!
Basic Salmon Cake Recipe (see variations below)
- 1 can salmon ( 7–8 ounces), drained (or feel free to use leftover cooked salmon)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mayo (this makes for a lighter, fluffier and more bindable texture)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ –⅓ cup toasted bread crumbs like plain panko (ok to use GF) or flour
- 2 scallions, sliced
- generous pinch salt and pepper (about ⅛ teaspoon each – see notes)
- olive oil for searing
Mediterranean style: add 1 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley.
Nordic style: add 1 tablespoon capers and 1/8-1/4 cup chopped dill.
Quick Creamy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or yogurt
- squeeze of lemon
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (or sub scallions, cilantro or Italian parsley)
Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl using a fork. Let stand 5-10 minutes.
If the mixture seems too wet, add a little more bread crumbs (up to 1/3 cup total)
Heat oil or butter ( or a mixture is nice) in a skillet over medium heat. Sear the salmon cakes for 4-5 minutes on each side until beautifully golden and slightly puffed.
Serve with the quick creamy sauce or on their own with a side salad.
Keywords: salmon cakes, salmon cake recipe, easy salmon cakes, canned salmon cake recipe, samon cakes with canned salmon, asian salmon cakes, pantry meals, quick salmon cakes