This recipe for Salmon Patties is designed for weeknight dinners when time is short. Of course, fresh salmon always makes for a better salmon cake, but in a pinch, canned salmon, pulled from the pantry can be a lifesavor! Here are three variations – Asian Style, Mediterranean style, and Nordic Style!
Basic Salmon Patty Recipe (see variations below)
- 1 can wild salmon ( 7-8 ounces), drained (or feel free to use leftover cooked salmon)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mayo (this makes for a lighter, fluffier and more bindable texture)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or onion powder)
- 1/4 cup panko, (or toasted bread crumbs) see notes
- 1– 2 scallions, sliced (or sub 2–3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion)
- generous pinch salt and pepper (about 1/8 teaspoon each – see notes)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil.
See variations below.
- Drain salmon well.
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl using a fork. Let stand 5-10 minutes.
- If the mixture seems wet, add a little more panko (up to 1/3 cup total)
- Divide mixture into 2 larger patties pressing together with your hands. If you like a crispy crust, dredge in more panko and/or sesame seeds before searing. At this point you could refrigerate for later, laying on a paper towel.
- Heat olive oil or butter (or a mixture is nice) in a skillet over medium heat. Sear the salmon cakes for 4-5 minutes on each side until beautifully golden and slightly puffed. (The puffed center tells you the egg is cooked through.)
- Serve with the suggested sides, the Quick Creamy Sauce or on their own with a side salad.
Salmon Patty Variations
Asian-style: add 1-2 teaspoons ginger paste (or finely chopped ginger) and 1/8-1/4 cup chopped cilantro to the cakes. Add 1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds to the panko mixture. Serve with Asian Slaw or Asian Cucumber Salad.
Mediterranean-style: add 1 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. Serve with Leafy green salad.
Nordic style: add 1 tablespoon capers and 1/8-1/4 cup chopped dill. Serve with a Quick Creamy Sauce (below).
Quick Creamy Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 3 tablespoons sour cream or yogurt
- squeeze of lemon
- pinch salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (or sub scallions, cilantro or Italian parsley)
Salmon: Try to use the best quality canned wild salmon you can find- this does make a difference.
- Serving Size: 1 salmon patty
- Calories: 298
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 584.3 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.2 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 36.5 g
- Cholesterol: 177.4 mg
Keywords: salmon cakes, salmon patties, salmon cake recipe, easy salmon cakes, canned salmon cake recipe, samon cakes with canned salmon, asian salmon cakes, pantry meals, quick salmon cakes