A simple delicious Ceviche recipe with fresh fish, cucumber, tomatoes chilies, lime, cilantro, and optional avocado.
- ½ a red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh fish- sea bass, red snapper, corvina, dorado, escolar, mahi-mahi, tilapia, or hamachi – diced into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 2–3 garlic cloves very finely minced ( use a garlic press)
- 1– 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, start with 1, add more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼–½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeño chili pepper seeded and very finely chopped. Start conservatively, more to taste.
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice ( 4–6 limes) freshly squeezed ( try to use ripe limes)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half ( or 1 cup diced tomatoes)
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 semi-firm Avocado, diced, as garnish, optional
- Slice the red onion very thinly and salt generously and let stand 15 minutes until it begins to release its liquid (this will remove the bitterness). Rinse well, squeeze dry.
- Place fish, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, fresh chilies, and lime juice in a shallow serving bowl, gently mix, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. The longer you marinate the firmer and more “cooked” the fish will become.
- Before serving, gently toss in the fresh cilantro, cucumber and tomato and a drizzle of olive oil, gently mix.
- Taste for salt and add more if necessary. If adding avocado, gently fold it in at the end, after everything is mixed, making sure to use one that is not too soft.
- Make the optional Avocado Sauce ( see notes)
To Serve: Serve ceviche in a big bowl with chips on the side, or as mini tostadas (on a round chip or homemade) or make ceviche tacos or ceviche lettuce cups.
To make crispy mini tostadas: lightlyspray mini corn tortillas ( 3 inch tortillas) with olive oil and season generoulsy with salt. Bake in a 300 F oven on a sheet pan until crisp (not chewy, but crisp like a cracker) about 25 -30 minutes, turning halfway through. Let cool completely.
Or plate it up with a little Avocado Sauce as a salad course.
Optional Avocado sauce:
- ⅔ cup Avocado
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- 2/3 cup water- plus more as needed
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp coriander
- ⅛ C lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- cracked pepper
Keywords: ceviche recipe, easy ceviche recipe, how to serve ceviche, best ceviche recipe, how to make ceviche, how long to marinate ceviche, what king of fish ceviche,