This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Mushroom Stroganoff is a delicious umami-loaded pasta dish with earthy mushrooms in a tangy, creamy sauce. This easy vegetarian dinner can be made on the stovetop or in your instant pot. Vegan-adaptable.
Be like a tree, let the dead leaves drop. ~Rumi
Here’s a deliciously addicting easy dinner recipe that is on our regular rotation – Mushroom Stroganoff! I love how quick and easy this is to make, while not compromising depth or flavor. It was such a surprise the first time I made this when I realized I couldn’t put my fork down! Neither could Brian. We pretty much gobbled it up! Serve it up with a big green salad and give it a go this week and see what you think.
What is Stroganoff?
Stroganoff originates from Russia and is traditionally made with strips of beef in a creamy, tangy sour cream sauce. So it tastes deep, complex and earthy but also rich and tangy from the sour cream. Perfect for cooler fall and winter eves.
Why You’ll love this Stroganoff Recipe!
- We’re making it vegetarian with mushrooms instead of beef.
- Vegan -adaptable. While I really LOVE the real sour cream in this recipe, you can make this vegan using vegan sour cream.
- It’s FAST and easy. Use your instant pot, or make it on the stovetop.
- It’s REALLY delicious! Mushrooms add depth and flavor here.
Mushroom Stroganoff (instant Pot) | 30-second video!
How to Make Mushroom Stroganoff (on the Stovetop) In 3 easy steps!
- Boil the pasta.
- Make the Stroganoff Sauce: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms until mushrooms release all of their liquid and this liquid cooks off- about 10 minutes. Add the wine, cook it off again. Stir in 1 heaping tablespoon flour, and cook 1 minute. Add the broth, salt, pepper and mustard (start with 1 tablespoon) scraping up any browned bits, and stir to incorporate well, letting it simmer and thicken.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and sour cream. Taste, adjust salt and mustard adding more if you like.
More recipes you might like:
- 50 BEST Vegetarian Dinner Recipes
- Our Best Instant Pot Recipes!
- Mushroom Risotto with Frizzled Leeks
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Mushroom Pasta with Artichoke Sauce
- Chipotle Portobello Tacos
- 50 Easy Dinner Ideas!
On the homefront: Life is going at a nice gentle pace. Normally this time of year we are taking off to go travel after a summer packed with catering weddings. But since we’ve stopped catering, there hasn’t been this real urge to escape.
Plus it’s so beautiful here this time of year with all the falling leaves. I love the crackly sound the leaves make underfoot, a path of golden light. It feels good to soak up this season and be here fully.
I know most of you come here for the recipes, so I won’t babble on too much about my life. But I will say, that I’m feeling very grateful to have this space here with you. I feel honored that you come to the blog and visit me. I am constantly touched by your kind and warm emails and comments on the blog. It truly nurtures me.
In a way, it’s like you’ve stopped by my house and we’re just sitting here chatting about life and drinking a cozy cup of chai. It’s become this gentle, calming, peaceful place. A very unexpected thing. So, thank you for this. Truly. ❤️
Instant Pot Mushroom Stroganoff – a simple, easy vegetarian weeknight dinner that is vegan adaptable. I hope you love it as much as we do! Please let us know in the comments below.
Mushroom Stroganoff – a simple, easy vegetarian weeknight dinner that is creamy, hearty and full of delicious depth and flavor! Vegan Adaptable! See the Stovetop version below!
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 a red onion, diced ( 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced (cremini, shiitake, button)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry (or sub white wine or more broth)
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1–2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta (rotini, penne) about a scant 3 cups (adding more will result in the burn error!)
Stir in after cooking:
Instant Pot Instructions
- Heat oil on “sauté” function. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, salt and pepper and saute 7-9 minutes or until mushrooms release their liquid.
- Sprinkle with the flour, and give a stir coating the mushrooms. Add the sherry wine, 2 cups broth, and mustard and stir well, scraping up any browned bits (to prevent the burn error).
- Add the pasta, and stir.
- Set instant pot to pressure cook on high for 3-4 minutes. (see notes)
- Manually release (placing a towel over the steam).
- Stir in the sour cream, and keep on warm setting for 5-10 minutes. The sauce will thicken slightly but will remain “saucy” enough for dipping garlic bread. Taste, add more mustard if you like.
- Sometimes for extra depth, I’ll add a teaspoon of soy sauce in at the end, up to you.
- Boil the pasta, according to the package in salted water until al dente. Drain.
- Make the Sauce: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms until mushrooms release all of their liquid and this liquid cooks off, about 10 minutes. Add the wine, cook it off again. Stir in 1 heaping tablespoon flour, and cook 1 minute. Add the broth, salt, pepper and mustard (start with 1 tablespoon) scraping up any browned bits, and stir to incorporate well, letting it simmer and thicken.
- Stir in the cooked drained pasta and sour cream. Taste, adjust salt and mustard adding more if you like.
Instant Pot cooking times will vary depending on pasta. A good rule of thumb is to halve the cooking time on the pasta directions on the package and subtract one minute. For example, 9 minutes on the package would be 4 minutes in the pressure cooker.
- Serving Size: - with ¾ cup full fat sour cream
- Calories: 449
- Sugar: 5.8 g
- Sodium: 477.8 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 56.4 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 15.6 g
- Cholesterol: 15.1 mg
Keywords: mushroom stroganoff recipe, mushroom stroganoff, instant pot mushroom stroganoff, instant pot pasta, instant pot pasta recipes, best instant pot recipes, pasta in an instant pot