Instant Pot Mushroom Stroganoff – a simple, easy vegetarian weeknight dinner that is creamy and hearty and full of delicious depth and flavor! This version is vegan adaptable and can be made on a stove top.
Be like a tree, let the dead leaves drop. ~Rumi
Here’s a deliciously addicting weeknight dinner that will go on our regular rotation – Instant Pot Mushroom Stroganoff! I love how simple and fast this is to make, while not compromising depth or flavor. And the nice part is, this can also be made vegan or on the stove top! Truth be told, I’ve never really been a huge stroganoff fan, so I was a little skeptical about this one.
It was such a surprise when I realized I couldn’t put my fork down! Neither could Brian. We pretty much gobbled it up. I admit, the vegetarian version, using real sour cream, is better than the vegan version, but the vegan version is pretty good too. Serve it up with a large healthy green salad and give it a go this week and see what you think!
And yes of course you can make this recipe on the stove top- see the recipe notes!
Life is going in a nice gentle rhythm. Normally this time of year we are taking off to go travel after a summer packed with catering weddings. But since we’ve stopped catering, there hasn’t been this real urge to escape. Plus it’s so beautiful here this time of year with all the falling leaves. I love the crackly sound the leaves make underfoot, a path of golden light. It feels good to soak up this season and be here fully.
I know most of you come here for the recipes, so I won’t babble on too much about my life. But I will say, that I’m feeling very grateful to have this space here with you. I feel honored that you come to the blog and visit me. In a way, it’s like you’ve stopped by my house and we’re just sitting here chatting about life and drinking tea. It’s become this gentle, calming, peaceful place. Thank you for this.
To make this vegan, simply sub vegan sour cream.
Keep in mind, you want the vegan cream to have a bit of tang, so if you go the cashew cream route, you will probably need to a tiny splash of lemon juice or vinegar to give this the traditional “stroganoff” tangy flavor.
Instant Pot Mushroom Stroganoff – a simple, easy vegetarian weeknight dinner that is vegan adaptable.Print
Instant Pot Mushroom Stroganoff
Instant Pot Mushroom Stroganoff – a simple, easy vegetarian weeknight dinner that is creamy, hearty and full of delicious depth and flavor! Vegan Adaptable! See Stovetop version below!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: main, pasta, instant pot recipe, vegetarian, vegan adaptable
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: Russian
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ a red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced (cremini, shiitake, button)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup cooking sherry (or sub white wine or more broth)
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1–2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 8 ounces pasta (rotini, penne) about a scant 3 cups (adding more will result in the burn error!)
Stir in after cooking:
- ½ to ¾ cup sour cream ( or sub vegan sour cream)
- Heat oil on “sauté” function. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, salt and pepper and saute 7-9 minutes or until mushrooms release their liquid.
- Add sherry wine, 2 cups broth, mustard and flour and stir well, scraping up any browned bits (to prevent burn error)
- Add the pasta, stir.
- Set instant pot to pressure cook on high for 3-4 minutes. (see notes)
- Manually release ( placing a towel over the steam).
- Stir in the sour cream, and keep on warm setting for 5-10 minutes. Sauce will thicken slightly, but will remain “saucy” enough for dipping garlic bread. Taste, add more mustard if you like.
- Sometimes for extra depth I’ll add a teaspoon of soy sauce in at the end, up to you.
Instant Pot cooking times will vary depending on pasta. A good rule of thumb is to halve the cooking time on the pasta directions on the package and subtract one minute. For example, 9 minutes on the package would be 4 minutes in the pressure cooker.
- Boil the pasta.
- Make the Sauce: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms until mushrooms release all of their liquid and this liquid cooks off, about 10 minutes. Add the wine, cook it off again. Stir in 1 heaping tablespoon flour, and cook 1 minute. Add the broth, salt, pepper and mustard (start with 1 tablespoon) scraping up any browned bits, and stir to incorporate well, letting it simmer and thicken.
- Stir in the pasta and sour cream. Taste, adjust salt and mustard adding more if you like.
Keywords: mushroom stroganoff recipe, mushroom stroganoff, instant pot mushroom stroganoff, instant pot pasta, instant pot pasta recipes, pasta in an instant pot