Creamy Mushroom Soup with Garlic Chips and Rosemary – a delicious easy recipe that comes together in 30 minutes – perfect for special gatherings or simple enough for weeknight dinners! Vegan-adaptable, Keto and GF adaptable!
Who doesn’t love a delicious bowl of creamy mushroom soup? This version has rosemary and garlic chips added to the mix- always a good combo! Over the last few months, we’ve had this several times, and I have to say, it’s pretty darn yummy! So much depth and flavor here! There are lots of ways to adapt this to your needs so be sure to read the recipe notes. Yes, it can be made vegan!
What I like about this recipe is, how easy it is to make and how there is no blending required. Just whip it up in one pot. Serve with a good loaf of crusty bread and dinner is ready, in under 30 minutes! One of my husband’s favorites!
You could also serve this as a first course for a special gathering or plated dinner. I love garnishing the soup with crispy garlic chips for added texture and flavor. A drizzle of truffle oil further elevates. Of course, both are optional. 😉
The trick to getting the beautiful depth and flavor here is really taking your time to cook the onions and mushrooms.
Cook them until all of the liquid releases.
Adding a little splash of sherry cooking wine elevates- but don’t sweat it if you don’t have it. Red wine, white wine, Marsala wine, Madeira Wine, Vermouth or Ruby Port will work here too.
Truffle oil is a nice addition, but totally optional.
I like to set aside some of the cooked mushrooms to use as a garnish.
To make the crispy garlic chips- slice garlic lengthwise, then pan-sear until golden- a crunchy flavorful topping. My husband’s favorite!
Let us know how you like this Creamy Mushroom Soup in the comments below, noting any of your adaptations! See recipe notes for vegan options!
Creamy Mushroom Soup with Rosemary and Garlic – a delicious easy recipe that is Keto friendly and perfect for special gatherings or simple enough for weeknight dinners! Serve this with crusty bread for a simple hearty meal! GF and Vegan adaptable!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, butter or vegan butter
- one large onion, diced (or two fat shallots)
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped (2–4 more for garnish, sliced)
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced ( or use mushrooms of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or thyme)
- 1/4 cup sherry cooking wine (not vinegar) or marsala wine or red wine
- 5 tablespoons flour (or GF flour)
- 3 cups hot veggie stock, chicken stock or beef broth ( or use water with bullion cubes) see notes.
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup sour cream ( 3/4 cup seems just right) or use vegan sour cream, cashew cream (or use heavy cream)
- pepper to taste
- Optional garnish: drizzle of truffle oil, garlic “chips” ( see notes)
- Heat oil or butter in a large, heavy-bottom pot or dutch oven. Add onion and saute over medium-high heat, 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly until golden and fragrant. Lower heat to medium, add garlic, saute 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, salt and rosemary. Saute 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, taking your time here, allowing mushrooms to release all their liquid. Add the cooking sherry (do not mistake this for sherry vinegar). Turn the heat up, and cook this completely off, stirring until most or all of the liquid in the pan has cooked off about 3-4 minutes, and mushrooms glisten. Optional: Set aside 1/4 cup mushrooms for garnish.
- Turn the heat back down to medium, sprinkle the flour over top, stir constantly, toasting it for 1-2 minutes. Add one cup of hot stock and stir it in WELL, getting all those browned bits (in corners and bottom) mixed in. (A wood spoon works well here.) Add the second cup of stock, stirring well to combine, then add the third cup of stock and bring it to a gentle simmer. It will thicken slightly.
- Stir in the sour cream until fully incorporated.
- Season with pepper and taste for salt.
- To make the garlic chips, thinly slice garlic (the long ways). Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a little saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic slices, not overlapping, sprinkle with a little salt, and turn over when golden, about 3 minutes. Cook other side until golden and crispy. Set on a paper towel. At the same time you could toss in a few more rosemary leaves.
- To Serve: Ladle in bowls and top with a few slices of mushrooms and garlic chips and a drizzle of truffle oil. Serve with crusty bread.
The best (tastiest) version of this soup is using butter and sherry cooking wine. The sherry elevates. It’s still really good with Marsala wine, red wine or even white wine, but tastes best with the sherry cooking wine, adding a complex sweetness that is heavenly.
Though the type of broth or stock is totally adaptable here – chicken broth to me has the best flavor. Or use vegan “chicken” broth. Beef broth adds a delcious depth as well. If going with straight veggie broth, sometimes I’ll add a teaspoon or two of miso to the hot broth for extra depth.
Of course, you can make this vegan with olive oil (or vegan butter) and using a vegan sour cream or cashew cream. If going the cashew cream route, remember that sour cream has a bit of tangy sourness to it, so you may need to add a bit of acid- a few drops of lemon or vinegar to taste.
Keywords: creamy mushroom soup, the best mushroom soup, mushroom soup recipe, cream of mushroom soup,