The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it.
This Creamy Wild Mushroom Sunchoke Soup is vegan and gluten-free, a luxurious beginning to a special holiday dinner, or on its own for a simple weeknight meal. Drizzled with truffle oil, the soup becomes elevated. Serve it up with Crusty bread and call it a weeknight meal. Simple and easy.
Sunchokes, if unfamiliar, are the roots of a type of perennial sunflower. They resemble ginger root, but with a surprisingly different flavor- earthy and sweet, they taste of artichoke hearts.
And paired with mushrooms and truffle oil, they are a match made in heaven.
For this recipe use both fresh and dried mushrooms. Potatoes add a little heartiness to the soup. Blend until silky smooth. Garnish the Wild Mushroom and Sunchoke Soup with a drizzle of truffle oil and a sprig of thyme. Inhale its earthy goodness.
A beautiful, light and elegant start to your holiday meal . . . and a delicious introduction to using sunchokes!
You may also like:
- Vegan Mushroom Pasta with Roasted Sunchokes
- Roasted Sunchoke and Barley Bowl with Zaatar Tahini Sauce
- Creamy Mushroom Soup with Rosemary and Garlic Chips
- Roasted Portobello Mushrooms with Walnut Coffee Sauce
- Polenta with Wild Mushrooms, Garlic and Sage
- Mushroom Toast
Wild Mushroom Sunchoke Soup with Truffle oil. A cozy vegan soup that is luxurious and decadent, yet simple to make- perfect for fall.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion- diced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (cremini, shiitake, morels, chanterelle’s, button)
- 3 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or sage or rosemary)
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 pound sunchokes, scrubbed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound potatoes (Yukon or white), thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms (like shiitake or morels) or sub 1 cup more fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce (or Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Drizzle of truffle oil
- In a large heavy bottom pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms. Saute for 6-7 minutes until golden, stirring often. Add garlic and fresh herbs, saute 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock and water, sunchokes, potatoes & dried mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, turn heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Check that potatoes are fork-tender.
- Working in batches, blend soup until very smooth. Use an immersion blender or regular blender. Return to a pot on the stove. Add soy and a splash vinegar. Taste, adding more salt or vinegar if needed.
- Divide among bowls and drizzle with truffle oil. Garnish with a sprig of fresh herb.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 8.9 g
- Sodium: 622.8 mg
- Fat: 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.5 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan mushroom soup, sun choke soup, sun choke recipes, mushroom soup recipe, mushroom soup vegan