Wild Mushroom & Sunchoke Soup with Truffle oil. A cozy vegan soup that is luxurious and decadent, yet simple to make- perfect for fall.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion- diced
- 3 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or sage or rosemary)
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 pound sunchokes, scrubbed, sliced
- 1/2 pound potatoes (Yukon or white), sliced
- 3/4 cup dried mushrooms (like shiitake or morels) or sub 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce (or Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Drizzle of truffle oil
- In a large heavy bottom pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion. Saute for 4-5 minutes until golden, stirring often. Add garlic and fresh herbs, saute 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock and water, sunchokes, potatoes & dried mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat down to low, and simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
- Check that potatoes are fork tender.
- Working in batches, blend soup until very smooth. Return to a pot on the stove. Add soy and a splash vinegar. Taste, adding more salt or vinegar if needed.
- Divide among bowls and drizzle with truffle oil. Garnish with a sprig of fresh herb.
- Note: This soup can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Gently warm up before serving. For added richness, add a dollop of sour cream.
- If using fresh mushrooms, saute with the onion and garlic.
- Calories: 325
Keywords: vegan mushroom soup, sun choke soup, sun choke recipes, mushroom soup recipe, mushroom soup vegan