This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Garlic and Sage, topped with an optional toasted Pine Nut Crumble. A fast and easy Vegetarian Soup Recipe that can be made in 30 minutes. Vegan adaptable! Updated 11/2019
No mud, no lotus.
Thich Nhat Hanh~
This creamy Cauliflower Soup is infused with garlic and sage and is sprinkled with an optional toasted Pine Nut Crumble, giving it a delicious contrast in texture and flavors. The soup itself is velvety and creamy without being overly laden with cream or butter.
The crispy savory Pine Nut Crumble is a simple mixture of bread crumbs pine nuts, fresh sage and garlic, quickly toasted in a skillet, right on the stovetop. Think of the crumble topping like upscale “croutons” that give this soup something extra special.
While this cauliflower soup feels decadent and looks quite elegant, it’s quick and easy, perfect for weeknights when time is short.
Saute the leeks (or onions) with the garlic and create the flavorful base. Add diced cauliflower and stock, and let this simmer, remembering the smaller the cauliflower dice, the quicker this will cook. Blend using an immersion blender or in batches until velvety smooth.
Toast in a little butter or oil in a skillet on the stove until golden and fragrant.
Divide the Cauliflower Soup among bowls and sprinkle with the topping.
To save time, skip the topping and serve with crusty toasty bread!
Remember, you can always make this vegan!
Here are some more Vegetarian Soup ideas !!!
A simple delicious recipe for Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Garlic and Sage & Toasted Pine Nut Crumble. Vegan adaptable.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil ( or butter)
- 2 leeks (about 2 cups) diced, or sub one large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic-rough chopped
- 1 head cauliflower- cut into small 1/2-3/4 inch thick pieces (7–8 cups)
- 4 cups veggie stock ( or chicken stock)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sage (or substitute 1 tsp dry herbs de provence)
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (optional, but delicious)
- 1/2–1 cup sour cream, plain yogurt (or cashew cream) more to taste. Feel free to sub vegan sour cream.
Optional Pine Nut Crumble Topping:
- Slice leeks into ¼ inch half rounds. Heat oil in medium sized heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, over medium heat. Add leeks ( or onion) and sauté until tender and golden, about 7-8 minutes. Continue. Add garlic and sauté for 3 more minutes.
- Add diced cauliflower (remember the smaller you cut these, the faster this will cook) veggie stock, salt and fresh sage. Give a stir. The liquid will not cover the cauliflower at first, but don’t worry it will steam. Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to medium low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until cauliflower is very tender.
- Blend using a submersion blender, or if using a regular blender, blend in batches, for 30 seconds, until very smooth and silky —remember, you don’t want to fill up a blender with hot liquid, or you will have a soup explosion — so blend in small batches, less than half full, with the lid covered with a kitchen towel and held down firmly with one hand when you start the blender.
- Return the creamy smooth soup to the pot, over low heat, and stir in the sour cream. Add pepper and adjust the salt.
- To make the Pine Nut crumble, place all ingredients (except butter) in food processor and pulse several times until it is roughly chopped. Heat butter (or oil) in a skillet over medium heat and gently toast the crumble, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until golden and fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup among bowls and sprinkle with the pine nut crumble.
Feel free to add soaked cashews to the blender with the soup for a tasty vegan option. The sour cream adds a subtle tanginess, so if needed, add a few drops of lemon or AC vinegar ( be conservative).
- Serving Size:
- Saturated Fat:
- Trans Fat:
Keywords: cauliflower soup, cauliflower soup recipe, cauliflower soup vegetarian, creamy cauliflower soup,