A simple delicious recipe for Cauliflower Soup with Leeks and Sage, topped with optional toasted Pine Nut Crumble. Fast and Healthy!
No mud, no lotus.
Thich Nhat Hanh~
This Cauliflower Soup with leeks and sage and the optional Toasted Pine Nut Crumble is a delicious contrast in texture and flavors. The soup itself is velvety and creamy without being laden with to much cream or butter. The savory crumble topping is toasty and crunchy. It’s a simple mixture of torn bread, pine nuts, fresh sage and garlic, quickly toasted in a skillet, right on the stove top. Think of the crumble topping like upscale “croutons” that give this soup something extra special.
While this cauliflower soup feels decadent and looks quite elegant, it’s quick and easy, perfect for weeknights when time is short.
Saute leeks and onions for extra depth. Add diced cauliflower and stock, and let this simmer, remembering the smaller the cauliflower dice, the quicker this will cook. Blend it in batches until velvety smooth.
Make the pine nut crumble topping while the soup is simmering, using a food processor to rough chop the bread, pine nuts, sage and garlic.
Toast in a little butter or oil over the stove until golden and fragrant.
Divide among bowls and top with the crumble.
Have a lovely week!Print
Cauliflower Soup with Leeks, Sage & Pine nut Crumble
A simple delicious recipe for Velvety Cauliflower Leek Soup with Sage & Toasted Pine Nut Crumble
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large leeks
- 1 cup diced onion (½ onion)
- 4 cloves garlic-rough chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower- diced in to roughly ½-¾ inch cubes (7–8 cups)
- 4 cups chicken stock ( or veggie stock)
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoon fresh sage (or substitute 1 tsp dry herbs de provence)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper (optional but delicious)
- ½ cup sour cream
- Pine nut Sage CrumbleTopping
- 2 garlic cloves- minced
- 10 sage leaves
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 pieces bread
- 2 Tablespoons butter (or oil)
- pinch salt and pepper
- Slice leeks into ¼ inch half rounds. Heat oil in medium sized heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté 3-4 minutes and add onion.
- Continue sautéing for 5 minutes until tender. Add garlic and sauté for 3 more minutes.
- Add diced cauliflower (remember the smaller you cut these, the faster this will cook) stock, water and fresh sage. Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes, until cauliflower is tender.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Blend in batches, for 30 seconds, until very smooth and silky —remember, you don’t want to fill up a blender with hot liquid, or you will have a soup explosion — so blend in small batches, less than half full, with the lid held down very tightly, holding lid down firmly covered with a kitchen towel.
- Return the velvety smooth soup to the pot, bring to a simmer over low heat, and stir in the sour cream. Adjust salt.
- To make the crumble, place all ingredients (except butter) in food processor and pulse several times until it is roughly chopped. Heat butter or oil in a skillet over medium heat and gently toast the crumble, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until golden and fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup among bowls and top with the pine nut crumble.
Keywords: cauliflower soup, cauliflower soup recipe, cauliflower soup vegetarian