Instant Pot Mushroom Stroganoff – a simple, easy vegetarian weeknight dinner that is creamy, hearty and full of delicious depth and flavor! Vegan Adaptable! See Stovetop version below!
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ a red onion, diced ( 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced (cremini, shiitake, button)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup cooking sherry (or sub white wine or more broth)
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1–2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta (rotini, penne) about a scant 3 cups (adding more will result in the burn error!)
Stir in after cooking:
- ½ to ¾ cup sour cream ( or sub vegan sour cream or Cashew Cheese-see notes)
- Heat oil on “sauté” function. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, salt and pepper and saute 7-9 minutes or until mushrooms release their liquid.
- Sprinkle with the flour, and give a stir coating the mushrooms. Add the sherry wine, 2 cups broth, and mustard and stir well, scraping up any browned bits (to prevent the burn error).
- Add the pasta, and stir.
- Set instant pot to pressure cook on high for 3-4 minutes. (see notes)
- Manually release (placing a towel over the steam).
- Stir in the sour cream, and keep on warm setting for 5-10 minutes. The sauce will thicken slightly but will remain “saucy” enough for dipping garlic bread. Taste, add more mustard if you like.
- Sometimes for extra depth, I’ll add a teaspoon of soy sauce in at the end, up to you.
Instant Pot cooking times will vary depending on pasta. A good rule of thumb is to halve the cooking time on the pasta directions on the package and subtract one minute. For example, 9 minutes on the package would be 4 minutes in the pressure cooker.
Vegan Sour Cream: make the Cashew cheese, but a little thinner – add a couple more tablespoons of water than the recipe calls for. 🙂 The vinegar in the cashew cheese will add a nice tanginess to the pasta.
- Boil the pasta.
- Make the Sauce: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms until mushrooms release all of their liquid and this liquid cooks off, about 10 minutes. Add the wine, cook it off again. Stir in 1 heaping tablespoon flour, and cook 1 minute. Add the broth, salt, pepper and mustard (start with 1 tablespoon) scraping up any browned bits, and stir to incorporate well, letting it simmer and thicken.
- Stir in the pasta and sour cream. Taste, adjust salt and mustard adding more if you like.
Keywords: mushroom stroganoff recipe, mushroom stroganoff, instant pot mushroom stroganoff, instant pot pasta, instant pot pasta recipes, best instant pot recipes, pasta in an instant pot