I love Sundays…cozy, relaxing, and practically begging for comfort food. Here is one of my favorite recipes on cold snowy days like these…perfect for curling up on the couch with a good book or movie. Rosemary Chicken Lasagna! This version is made with a creamy béchamel sauce and mushrooms and a fun little trick of using egg roll wrappers instead of pasta for a lighter version.
Small dollops of ricotta are added next.
Next comes half of the filling.
For the top layer, spread with the remaining béchamel, sprinkle with Parmesan and more rosemary.
Place in a 400 F oven, covered with foil, until heated through and bubbling, 30-40 minutes. Remove the foil and let bake uncovered until beautiful and golden, about 10 more minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy with a healthy salad.
Rosemary Chicken Lasagna
Rosemary Chicken Lasagna with creamy Béchamel Sauce …and a little tip on how to make this lighter and faster when pressed for time! #chickenlasagna #whitelasagna
- Prep Time: 55 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: main, lasagna, chicken
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: italian
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast, cut into small bite sized, 1/2 inch pieces ( or replace with mushrooms)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, pepper to taste
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (optional- or replace with 8 oz more chicken)
- 1/2 onion- diced
- 6 cloves garlic -chopped
- 1 T fresh rosemary- chopped
- 1–2 C packed, chopped fresh spinach ( optional)
- 8 ounce package egg roll wrappers, or dry lasagna noodles, or fresh pasta sheets.
- 12 oz fresh or grated mozzarella, divided -saving 4 oz for béchamel
- 15 oz whole milk ricotta
- 3/4 C Parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Truffle oil– optional but amazing
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Make the Filling: ( see notes for vegetarian) Cut chicken into 1/2 inch, bite size pieces and season with 1 teaspoon salt and cracked pepper to taste. Saute in a skillet, on medium heat, with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil until golden brown, and cooked through. Place chicken in a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the pan and add a little more oil. Add mushrooms and onion and saute until tender, on med heat, about 7 min. Add garlic and rosemary, and saute 2 more minutes. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and lower heat to med low, and saute until mushrooms release their liquid. Add chopped spinach, stir until wilted and add this to the chicken. Set aside.
- Make Bechamel Sauce: In a small pot, melt butter on med low heat. Add flour and stir for 2-3 minutes on med heat until flour is golden. Whisk in milk one cup at a time. Add rosemary and bring to a gentle simmer, do not leave unattended, stirring constantly. Add 4 oz. mozzarella and stir until melted and thickened. Add salt, nutmeg and white pepper. Stir until incorporated, set aside.
- Assemble Lasagna. Use fresh pasta sheets if possible. If not available, substitute large egg roll wrappers or dry lasagna noodles. Butter or grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. Pour ¾ cups bechamel sauce in the bottom and spread out. Lay down one layer of pasta (or two layers of egg roll wrappers). Using a teaspoon, place teaspoon sized dollops of ricotta, using up about half the container. Spread out the 1/2 of the chicken mushroom filling, drizzle 1/2 C bechemal, sprinkle 1/4 C Parmesan, and 4 oz of the fresh mozzarella and half of the lemon zest. Repeat, adding another single layer of pasta, or a layer of egg roll wrappers, lightly pressing down. Add dollops of ricotta, the remainder of the chicken mushroom filling, 1/2 C bechamel, the remaining mozzarella, 1/4 C Parmesan and remaining lemon zest. At this point, you could drizzle with a little truffle oil ( it’s delicious). Top with the last layer of pasta ( or egg roll wrappers) pour the remainder of the bechamel, spreading evenly. Add the final 1/4 C of Parmesan. Sprinkle with a little rosemary.
- Bake covered tightly with foil in a 400F oven for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove foil and bake uncovered until top is golden, about 15 more minutes. Let rest out of the oven 10-15 minutes before cutting, so it sets up.
An easy way to do this is to make the filling ahead ( and refrigerate), that way, on the day of, you could make simply make the bechemal sauce and assemble. You can also make the whole lasagna ahead.
You can make this vegetarian by subbing mushrooms for the chicken. You will need 1 ½ -2 pounds total. You could also sub other sautéed veggies into the mix, or more spinach. Saute the mushrooms and onion, and when tender, add the garlic and rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Add chopped spinach and wilt.
Keywords: chicken lasagna, chicken lasagna recipe, white lasagna, lasagna recipes with chicken, rosemary chicken lasagna,mushroom lasagna