Quintessential comfort food, Chicken Pot Pie with tender potatoes, carrots, peas, and cauliflower accented with fresh herbs, in a creamy wine sauce with a flakey biscuit crust. With a video!
Feelings coming feelings leaving that is just the way it goes. How to surrender to the mystery I often never know. Treat it like a weight or treat it like a never-ending dance. All the laughter all the tears are just a part of the romance. ~Trevor Hall
Chicken Pot Pie is one of those homey comfort dishes that can work for weeknight dinners but also perfectly special enough for company. Or maybe even Easter dinner! Why not? This is one of my family’s favorite meals. Leftovers heat up great.
Caramelized onions, root veggies, and cauliflower create a succulent texture. Add tender chicken and creamy flavorful herbed sauce top with savory biscuits and you have a masterpiece! The biscuits come together quickly and are scooped out rather than rolled, for a faster and less messy process.
Chicken Pot Pie | 60-second Video
This Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits is made with simple accessible ingredients.
How to make the filling for Chicken Pot Pie:
Start potatoes, carrots, cauliflower steaming. Then get the onions caramelizing with olive oil.
Sauté celery a bit with the browning onions then push to the side and add chicken chunks and herbs, cooking about 8-10 minutes.
Pushing chicken to the edges, melt butter in the middle of the pan and whisk the flour in. Add the chicken broth and bring it to a simmer.
Add steamed potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, wine, black pepper and nutmeg, simmering for about 5 minutes more.
Turn off the heat, stir in cream, lemon juice and frozen peas into the chicken filling.
How to make the flakiest biscuit crust:
Chilled ingredients are the key to flakey biscuits!
Let dough rest for a few minutes.
Scoop 10 biscuits onto the top of the filling. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes then turn the oven down to 375F for 20 minutes.
This is a recipe perfect for a spacious afternoon. When possible, I take my time creating this pot pie, flowing with the process. I put on a story or some tunes and then create from the heart and receive the nourishment that comes from knowing that my family will be deeply nurtured by this meal. Food always seems to taste better with focused intention.
Meal Prep Idea: The filling and the biscuit dough can be made ahead a day ahead stored in the fridge in airtight containers. Scoop biscuits onto the filling just before baking. Leftovers heat up well and will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
More Recipes you may like:Print
How to make Chicken Pot Pie with an easy biscuit crust. Loaded with tender veggies and chicken accented with savory fresh herbs, in a creamy wine sauce, this is a delicious comfort food meal the whole family will love.
- 1 cup potatoes, cubed small
- 1 cup small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup carrots, cubed
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 chicken breasts, (12 ounces) cut into 1 -inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup peas
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Make the filling:
- Put diced potatoes, cauliflower and carrots in a pot with an inch or two of water cover and bring to a simmer for 8-10 minutes until just tender, drain water off.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions with olive oil over medium-low heat in a large (10 inch round) oven-safe pan (enamel or cast iron) 15 min. or until they start to caramelize. Add celery and garlic, sautéing 5 minutes more.
- Move veggies to one side and saute chicken, rosemary and sage in the same pan about 8-10 minutes. Push everything to the outer edges and melt butter in the center and whisk in flour.
- Stir in broth, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, bring to a simmer.
- Add wine, black pepper and nutmeg. Simmer for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Stir in peas, cream, and lemon juice just before scooping biscuits onto the filling.
Make the biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Add flour to a bowl, stir together with baking powder, salt, minced rosemary.
- Toss in the grated frozen butter. Add cold buttermilk, stir until just combined.
- Using a 1/4 cup scoop 10 biscuits on top of the filling and bake at 425F degrees for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 375 degrees and bake 20 minutes more.
Keywords: chicken pot pie with biscuits, chicken pot pie with biscuit crust, chicken pot pie recipe