This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Quintessential comfort food, Chicken Pot Pie with tender potatoes, carrots, peas, and cauliflower accented with fresh herbs, in a creamy wine sauce with a flakey biscuit crust. With a video!
Feelings coming feelings leaving that is just the way it goes. How to surrender to the mystery I often never know. Treat it like a weight or treat it like a never-ending dance. All the laughter all the tears are just a part of the romance. ~Trevor Hall
Chicken Pot Pie is one of those homey comfort dishes that can work for weeknight dinners but also perfectly special enough for company. Or maybe even Easter dinner! Why not? This is one of my family’s favorite meals. Leftovers heat up great.
Caramelized onions, root veggies, and cauliflower create a succulent texture. Add tender chicken and creamy flavorful herbed sauce top with savory biscuits and you have a masterpiece! The biscuits come together quickly and are scooped out rather than rolled, for a faster and less messy process.
Chicken Pot Pie | 60-second Video
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- Chicken meat- breast is best ( or sub rotisserie chicken)
- Mixed Vegetables: potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, celery, peas or green beans, onion and garlic
- fresh sage
- fresh rosemary
- Chicken broth
- Cream or half and half
- sea salt, pepper and nutmeg
- white wine
- lemon juice
- baking powder
- fresh rosemary
- butter, frozen and grated
This Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits is made with simple accessible ingredients.
How to make the filling for Chicken Pot Pie:
Start potatoes, carrots, cauliflower steaming. Then get the onions caramelizing with olive oil.
Sauté celery a bit with the browning onions then push to the side and add chicken chunks and herbs, cooking about 8-10 minutes. Add the wine in and deglaze the pan, scraping off all the crusty bits.
Pushing chicken to the edges, melt butter in the middle of the pan and whisk the flour in. Add the chicken broth and bring it to a simmer.
Add steamed potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, wine, black pepper and nutmeg, simmering for about 5 minutes more.
Turn off the heat, stir in cream, lemon juice and frozen peas into the chicken filling.
Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
How to make the flakiest biscuit crust:
Chilled ingredients are the key to flakey biscuits!
Grate frozen butter keeping cold while you mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and rosemary in a large bowl. Add butter and chilled buttermilk. Mix together just enough to form a cohesive dough.
Let dough rest for a few minutes.
Scoop 10 biscuits onto the top of the filling.
Bake in a preheated oven – 425F for 10 minutes then turn the oven down to 375F for 20 minutes.
You can also bake this in a large baking dish.
This is a recipe perfect for a spacious afternoon. When possible, I take my time creating this pot pie, flowing with the process. I put on a story or some tunes and then create from the heart and receive the nourishment that comes from knowing that my family will be deeply nurtured by this meal. Food always seems to taste better with focused intention.
Can this be made ahead?
The filling and the biscuit dough can be made a day ahead stored in the fridge in airtight containers. Scoop biscuits onto the filling just before baking. Leftovers heat up well and will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
How do you thicken Chicken Pot Pie Filling?
We use flour as the thickener here. Feel free to sub-gluten-free flour.
Is Chicken Pot Pie unhealthy:
We believe that homemade meals made from scratch using fresh organic ingredients are always healthier than storebought, packaged foods that often contain preservatives and additives.
More Recipes you may like:
- Vegan Pot Pie with Spring Veggies
- Indian Shepherds Pie
- Vegan Shepherds Pie
- 35+ Chicken Breast Recipes
Herby Chicken Pot Pie with Easy Biscuit Crust
- Prep Time: 50
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: main, chicken
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
How to make Chicken Pot Pie with an easy biscuit crust. Loaded with tender veggies and chicken accented with savory fresh herbs, in a creamy wine sauce, this is a delicious comfort food meal the whole family will love.
- 1 cup potatoes, cubed small
- 1 cup small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup carrots, cubed
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 chicken breasts, (12 ounces) cut into 1 -inch chunks
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or sub all-purpose)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter, frozen and grated
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
Make the filling:
- Put diced potatoes, cauliflower and carrots in a pot with an inch or two of water cover and bring to a simmer for 8-10 minutes until just tender, drain water off.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions with olive oil over medium-low heat in a large (10 inch round) oven-safe pan (enamel or cast iron) 15 min. or until they start to caramelize. Add celery and garlic, sautéing 5 minutes more.
- Move veggies to one side and saute chicken, rosemary and sage in the same pan about 8-10 minutes. Add the wine in and deglaze the pan, scraping off all the crusty bits. Push everything to the outer edges and melt butter in the center and whisk in flour.
- Stir in broth, salt, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Stir in peas, cream, and lemon juice just before scooping biscuits onto the filling.
Make the biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Add flour to a bowl, stir together with baking powder, salt, minced rosemary.
- Toss in the grated frozen butter. Add cold buttermilk, stir until just combined.
- Using a 1/4 cup scoop 10 biscuits on top of the filling and bake at 425F degrees for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 375 degrees and bake 20 minutes more.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 3.7 g
- Sodium: 612.2 mg
- Fat: 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.1 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 13.5 g
- Cholesterol: 62.8 mg
Keywords: chicken pot pie with biscuits, chicken pot pie with biscuit crust, chicken pot pie recipe
I’ve made this 5 or 6 times now and WOW it just gets better every time!
Awesome Jenn, so great to hear!
I’ve gotten a little obsessed with the enameled cast iron pan you used here. Is it a 3.5 qt sauteuse? Can you share the name of the manufacturer? The ridges at the bottom don’t look like Le Creuset.
Lodge-enameled cast iron casserole dish 3.6 quart 🙂