How to make Chicken Pot Pie with an easy biscuit crust. Loaded with tender veggies and chicken accented with savory fresh herbs, in a creamy wine sauce, this is a delicious comfort food meal the whole family will love.
- 1 cup potatoes, cubed small
- 1 cup small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup carrots, cubed
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 chicken breasts, (12 ounces) cut into 1 -inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup peas
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Make the filling:
- Put diced potatoes, cauliflower and carrots in a pot with an inch or two of water cover and bring to a simmer for 8-10 minutes until just tender, drain water off.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions with olive oil over medium-low heat in a large (10 inch round) oven-safe pan (enamel or cast iron) 15 min. or until they start to caramelize. Add celery and garlic, sautéing 5 minutes more.
- Move veggies to one side and saute chicken, rosemary and sage in the same pan about 8-10 minutes. Push everything to the outer edges and melt butter in the center and whisk in flour.
- Stir in broth, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, bring to a simmer.
- Add wine, black pepper and nutmeg. Simmer for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Stir in peas, cream, and lemon juice just before scooping biscuits onto the filling.
Make the biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Add flour to a bowl, stir together with baking powder, salt, minced rosemary.
- Toss in the grated frozen butter. Add cold buttermilk, stir until just combined.
- Using a 1/4 cup scoop 10 biscuits on top of the filling and bake at 425F degrees for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 375 degrees and bake 20 minutes more.
Keywords: chicken pot pie with biscuits, chicken pot pie with biscuit crust, chicken pot pie recipe