Your heart is full of fertile seeds, waiting to sprout. ~ Morihei Ueshiba
Ingredients in Spring Vegetable Pot Pie
- Vegetables: fennel bulb, leek (or onion), garlic, potatoes, carrots, asparagus, peas
- Herbs: tarragon, lemon thyme, chives
- Almond milk or Cashew Milk
- Lemon juice
- Vegetable bullion
- Whole grain mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- Vegan butter or olive oil
How to make Vegan Pot Pie with Spring Vegetables
Chop up your veggies and measure all ingredients out.
Blanch potatoes and carrots in salted water for about 10 minutes or until just fork-tender. Save 1/2 cup of the water as you drain potatoes and carrots.
Dissolve bullion in the saved potato carrot water.
Saute leeks, garlic, fennel and asparagus.
Add blanched veggies to the sauté and mix. Push to the sides and melt butter in the center, add flour and mix as best as you can.
Add bullion broth and milk, stirring all the while, switching from the whisk to stirring with a spoon.
Add mustard and let the sauce come to a gentle boil. Turn off the heat.
Add in peas, lemon juice, lemon thyme, tarragon and chives.
Let the filling cool a bit while you prepare the crust.
If needed, roll your puff pastry out to 1/8″ thick. Cut into the shape of your pan and lay over the cooled filling.
Score the pastry with a sharp knife, cutting halfway into the dough. Do any design you like! This lightens crust, allowing it to lift more and bake evenly.
Expert Tips For The Ultimate Flakey Pastry Top
- Preheat oven and keep at temperature for 15-20 minutes before you place the pot pie in the oven. Puff pastry needs even heat to rise and puff.
- Let the filling cool before topping with the crust. If it is too hot it can start melting the layers before the crust has a chance to heat up and rise.
- If you are working in a warm kitchen, chill the whole pot pie with the pastry lid on, for 10 minutes before baking.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
- Savory Leek and Kale Galette
- Vegan Pot Pie with Roasted Butternut, Lentils and Kale
- Vegan Shepherds Pie
- Mushroom Wellington with Rosemary and Pecans
- Herby Chicken Pot Pie with Easy Biscuit Crust
This Vegan Pot Pie is loaded with vibrant fresh spring veggies and flavorful herbs cooked in a creamy lemon mustard sauce topped with a flakey puff pastry crust.
- 1 pound Yukon gold or red potatoes, cut in bite sized chunks
- 2 cups carrots, cut in half moons
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil, divided
- 1 onion or leek, chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped small
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 cup asparagus, cut in 1/2″ pieces
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 1 teaspoon bouillon, vegetable or “chicken-like”
- 1/2 cup saved water (from the potato/carrot blanching)
- 2 cups cashew or almond milk (rich is best)
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard (or dijon)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme (or regular), chopped small
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon (or rosemary), roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 1 package vegan puff pastry dough
- Thaw puff pastry dough overnight in the fridge. (Or see notes)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Blanch potatoes and carrots by covering with lightly salted water, and simmering for about 10 minutes or until just fork-tender. Save 1/2 cup of the water as you drain potatoes and carrots. Dissolve boullion in the 1/2 cup of saved potato carrot water. Set aside.
- Sauté leeks, garlic, and fennel in 1 tablespoon vegan butter or olive oil until just translucent. Add asparagus and sauté a few minutes more.
- Add blanched veggies to the saute and mix. Push to the sides and melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the center of the pan, add flour whisking into the butter. It’ll be lumpy but that will all smooth out.
- Add the boullion (mixed with the reserved potato/carrot water) and the nut milk, stirring all the while, switching from the whisk to stirring with a spoon. Add mustard, salt and pepper. Let the sauce come to a gentle boil. Turn off the heat.
- Add in peas, lemon juice, lemon thyme, tarragon and chives. Taste and adjust salt if needed. Let the filling cool while you prepare the puff pastry top crust.
- If needed, roll your puff pastry out to 1/8″ thick. Cut into the shape of your pan and lay over the cooled filling. Score the pastry with a sharp knife, cutting halfway into the dough, and leaving a vent whole in the center. Do any design you like! This lightens crust, allowing it to lift more and bake evenly. Brush with olive oil, or if not vegan, use an egg wash.
- Place in the middle of the oven, turn down to 400F and bake for 20 minutes, then lower heat to 350F, and bake 10-15 more minutes, crust should be puffy and golden.
TIP: If you forgot to thaw your puff pastry ahead, you can thaw in a microwave, 15 seconds at a time ( turning it over) until softened and unrolls easily. If you overshoot, and it’s too soft, put it in the fridge for a few minutes to firm it up. You want it thawed, but still cold.
Keywords: vegan pot pie, pot pie recipes, best vegan pot pie, pot pie with mushrooms, vegetable pot pie, spring vegetable pot pie