It’s time to start living the life you’ve imagined.
I’m so excited to share this recipe for Tlayudas de Oaxaca with you because I know you are going to love them! Tlayudas (pronounced tley-oo-dahs ) are basically Mexican street food, similar to a pizza or tostada, hailing from the Oaxacan region of Mexico. This version is healthier and lighter, yet full of flavor with great texture — deliciously addicting! Keep them vegan or add chicken carnitas, so versatile!
The secret is the super crispy tortilla (simply toasted oven) that gets all lathered up with silky refried beans, then topped with a mound of flavorful Cabbage Slaw with cucumbers, carrots, radishes, onion and cilantro. The recipe is adaptable- meaning you can add chicken and cheese to some, while keeping others vegan for mixed households. Finish the dish with avocado and hot sauce, or make this 5 minute Avocado-Cilantro sauce. The cabbage slaw keeps well until the next day, making leftovers a tasty option.
Watch our quick video to get the idea!
This version of Tlayudas are full of healthy veggies!
While the tortillas are toasting to a crisp in the oven, make the cabbage slaw.
For a fast option, use canned refried beans, but sometime, when you have little extra time try making refried beans at home with this recipe…they are so easy and delicious! They only take 10-15 minutes of actual hands on time!
Chop the cabbage and make the slaw
Remember you can always purchase pre-shredded cabbage to save time.
If adding chicken, cook it up at the same time you heat up the beans…. seasoning with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder.
Or for a true Mexican Fiesta, make these Dutch Oven Chicken Carnitas– so tasty!
Once the tortillas are crispy, begin layering with refried beans, optional chicken and optional cheese.
Top with the flavorful slaw.
The crunchy tortilla paired with the creamy beans and the slaw is MAGIC!!!!
It seems too simple, yet it really works.
Tlayudas de Oaxaca – my new favorite dish!
A delicious healthy recipe you can whip up on weeknights.
The crispy tortillas can be toasted ahead ( they keep well) and so can the slaw.
And if you have an extra 5 minutes…make the Avocado -Cilantro Sauce.
It’s vegan too but adds a nice creamy richness.
The Avocado Cilantro Sauce is easy to whip in the food processor and adds a burst of flavor.
Spoon it over the Tlayudas de Oaxaca, then top with a little cilantro.
You could also drizzle overtop some Chipotle Mayo ( aka mexican Secret sauce) and this version is vegan adaptable.
You need to try these. Trust me.
Tlayudas de Oaxaca – Oaxacan Street Food
A simple tasty recipe for Tlayudas de Oaxaca- Mexican Street food in-between a pizza and a tostada- this version is light and healthy- add meat or keep them vegan!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 3
- Category: Main- vegan & GF adaptable
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 to 4 whole grain tortillas ( or sub GF tortillas) 8-10 inches wide
- ½ head of cabbage ( 14-16 ounces), shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 radishes -thinly sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion – or sub pickled onions or pickled shallots
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more taste
- ½ an english cucumber- sliced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno- finely chopped- optional
- ¼-½ cup scallions sliced
- ¼-½ cup cilantro- chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus a little zest
- 1 can refried beans- or make refried beans form scratch!
- Chicken carnitas ( optional)
- Crumbled Queso Freso Cheese ( optional)
- optional additons- Chipotle Mayo, sliced avocado, summer tomatoes, grilled corn, shredded chicken, beef or pork, browned chorizo ( soy or pork), hot sauce, queso fresco cheese, Avocado Cilantro sauce ( recipe below)
- Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- 1 medium avocado (perfectly ripe)
- 4-6 jalapeno slices
- 1 garlic clove
- handful cilantro- ¼ -½ cup ( tender stems, OK)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 275 F
- Toast tortillas directly on the oven racks ( no sheet pan) until crisp, about 20 minutes. This is key- they need to be very crispy and dry, not bendy. You can make these ahead.
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, radish, onion, and toss in a large bowl with the salt. ( This will seem like a LOT at first, but will it will release liquid and shrink down.)
- Add the cucumber, jalapeño, scallions and cilantro, Toss well, then add olive oil and lime juice and a little zest. Let it rest on the counter – or make this ahead and refrigerate.
- If making the avocado sauce- make this now- placing everything in a food processor and blending until smooth. Taste, adjust salt and spice level adding more jalapeño if needed. Place in a bowl.
- When ready to assemble, heat the refried beans, adding salt,seasoning with cumin and coriander if you want. If using chicken, heat it up now.
- To assemble Carefully later up the beans on the tortilla. At this point you could add the chicken and cheese- or leave it off and keep it vegan. Top with a generous mound of slaw. Spoon over avocado sauce( or sliced avocado).
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs, hot sauce, lime wedge, pickled onions or shallots. Serve immediately (with knife and fork) while the beans are warm and the tortillas are still crisp.