Delicious, healthy Refried Beans using dry beans – a simple vegan recipe with sooooooo much flavor! These can be made on the stove-top or in an Instant Pot!
Ohhhhhhhh my goodness, I’m so in love with these! Creamy and luscious, these Refried Beans are so comforting! I know for many of you, the thought of making your own refried beans from scratch is probably the last thing you want to think about- and I get it, why make your own when you can so easily open up a can?
I understand completely and most of the time honestly, I do the same. But sometimes days come, like Sundays, when time is long and cooking feels pleasurable. Or you just bought a new Instant Pot and want to test it out! Or perhaps you are having guests over and want to create something a little extra special.
Or maybe, like me, you look at your overstuffed pantry and decide it’s time to start using some things up. In any case, this Refried Beans recipe is simple and the work easy. Make a batch on Sunday either on the stove top or in an instant pot….and use it during the busy workweek. Or freeze it in small batches. There is something very gratifying about making good use of pantry items.
With 10-15 minutes of hands-on time, the refried beans practically make themselves! And what you end up with is a luxurious pot of goodness that you can feel truly and utterly proud of. Plus they are vegan. And totally delicious.
Divide and freeze for later, or make a batch and use during the busy week.
Most any dried bean will work here, so feel free to experiment – pinto, kidney, black beans or specialty beans like you see here from my favorite bean company- Rancho Gordo.
No mashing required in this recipe. What I love about these beans is how creamy and luscious they are. They can be adapted to your own taste and heat tolerance. I love the hint of smoke from Smoked paprika and a little heat from chipotle – but leave these out if this is not your preference.
Place them back in the pot or instant pot and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
Before serving, drizzle with olive oil or sprinkle with queso fresco cheese and fresh cilantro.
There are so many recipes on the blog these would pair well with….try them in these baked tacos, or in my new favorite dish ever – Tlayudas. Make a Bean Bowl with warm refried beans as the base, top with crumbled queso fresco ( or feta) tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, cilantro, drizzled with olive oil– or simply serve as a vegan, gluten-free side dish at your Cinco de Mayo gathering.
I hope you love them!Print
How to make delicious, healthy, vegan Refried Beans from scratch using dry beans on the stove top or in your instant pot.
- 2 cups beans (pinto, black beans, or try something different!), soaked 8 hours.
- 5 cups water ( 7 cups if using Instant pot)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 bay leaves ( or 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½–1 teaspoon chipotle powder ( optional)
- ½–1 teaspoon smoked paprika ( optional)
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil ( optional)
- Place beans in a bowl or pot and pour 5 cups of water over top. Let them sit on the counter overnight or for 8 hours, until they will swell and double in size. Drain.
- Place soaked beans in a large pot with 5 cups of fresh water. Add salt, cumin, chili powder and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and turn heat to low then simmer gently until tender, about 2 hours.
- Drain the beans , reserving the cooking liquid, and removing the bay leaves.
- Place them in the food processor with the additional salt and spices. Add 1- 1 ½ cups of the cooking liquid into the food processor and puree until smooth. Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil to the puree, if you like for extra richness and delicious flavor.
- Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve, or divide and freeze, or simply refrigerate for the week. They will keep for 3-4 days.
Keywords: instant pot refried beans, refried beans, refried bean recipe, refried beans recipe, refried beans recipes, how to make refried beans, homemade refried beans, vegan refried beans