This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
How to make delicious Refried Beans from scratch using dry beans or canned beans – a simple vegan recipe with so much flavor! These can be made on the stove-top or in an Instant Pot with just 15 minutes of hands-on time. Video!
Ohhhhhhhh my goodness, I’m so in love with these! Creamy and luscious, these easy Refried Beans are so comforting! I know for many of you, the thought of making your own refried beans from scratch is probably the last thing you want to think about- and I get it, why make your own when you can so easily open up a can?
Because this Refried Beans recipe is so simple and easy and tastes WAY better than storebought.
Refried Beans from Scratch | video
Why we love homemade refried beans
With 10-15 minutes of hands-on time, these refried beans practically make themselves! And what you end up with is a luxurious pot of goodness that you can feel truly and utterly proud of. Plus they are vegan. And totally delicious.
The recipe is SO adaptable! Use dry beans, or use canned beans. Use pinto beans, or try other beans. Make it on the stovetop, or use your instant pot. Lots of options here!
I love how creamy and luscious the beans are! They can be adapted to your own taste and heat tolerance. I love the hint of smoke from Smoked paprika and a little heat from chipotle powder – but leave these out if this is not your preference.
Ingredients in Refried Beans
- Beans – use 2 cups dried beans, or use 6 cups cooked or canned beans (roughly 4 x14-ounce cans)
- Spices chili powder, cumin 2 bay leaves, garlic powder, chipotle powder (optional), smoked paprika (optional), olive oil (optional)
- Salt and pepper
Types of Beans to use in Refried Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Black Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Heirloom Beans! See photo above.
Most dried beans will work here, so feel free to experiment – pinto, kidney, black beans or specialty beans like you see here from my favorite bean company- Rancho Gordo.
How to Make Refried Beans!
- Cook beans on the stovetop or use an Instant Pot until tender. ( See notes if using canned beans)
- Drain the beans saving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Puree with some of the cooking liquid, a little olive oil
- Season with salt, pepper and spices.
- Warm gently and serve.
Place them back in the pot or instant pot and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
Before serving, drizzle with olive oil or sprinkle with queso fresco cheese and fresh cilantro. Add jalapeno slices if you like!
More bean recipes you may like:
- Italian Baked Beans and Greens
- Mexican Pinto Beans
- Cuban Black Bean Soup (Instant Pot w/ Dry Beans)
- Amazing Black Bean Burgers (in under 30 mins!)
- Instant Pot Pinto Bean Stew
- Mole Black Beans
What to serve with Refried Beans
Serve them as a side dish with your Mexican Feast!
Make a hearty Bean Bowl with warm refried beans as the base, top with Mexican Rice, or Walnut Chorizo, Mexican Slaw, crumbled queso fresco, tomatoes, cucumbers, pickled red onions, avocado, pickled jalapeños, cilantro, drizzled with olive oil
I hope you love them!
How to make delicious, healthy, vegan Refried Beans from scratch using dry beans or canned beans on the stovetop or in your instant pot.
- 1 lb pinto beans, 2 1/4 cups (dried), or sub 6 cups cooked beans (4 x 14-ounce cans), drained.
- 5 cups water ( 7 cups if using Instant pot)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 bay leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4–1 teaspoon chipotle powder (optional)
- 1/2–1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- STOVE TOP: Place dry beans in a bowl or pot and pour 5 cups of water over the top. Let them sit on the counter overnight or for 8 hours, until they will swell and double in size. Drain. If using canned or cooked beans see notes.
- Place soaked beans in a large pot with 5 cups of fresh water. Add salt, cumin, chili powder and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and turn heat to low then simmer gently until tender, about 2 hours.
- Drain the beans , reserving the cooking liquid, and remove the bay leaves.
- Place them in the food processor with the additional salt and spices. Add 1- 1 ½ cups of the cooking liquid into the food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to the puree for extra richness and delicious flavor.
- Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve, or divide and freeze, or simply refrigerate for the week. They will keep for 3-4 days.
Instant Pot: If making in an Instant Pot, place all ingredeints in the Instant pot with 7 cups water and salt, chili powder, cumin, bay leaves, pressure cook on high for 35 minutes. Let pressure naturally release. Continue following directions starting with draining the beans (save the liquid).
Cooked or Canned Beans: Heat 6 cups of beans with just enough water to cover them along with the spices, simmer 10-15 minutes. Drain, saving the water. Continue with recipe.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 477.9 mg
- Fat: 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.3 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 10.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: instant pot refried beans, easy refried beans, refried beans, refried bean recipe, refried beans recipe, refried beans recipes, how to make refried beans, homemade refried beans, vegan refried beans