How to make delicious, healthy, vegan Refried Beans from scratch using dry beans on the stove top or in your instant pot.
- 2 cups beans (pinto, black beans, or try something different!), soaked 8 hours.
- 5 cups water ( 7 cups if using Instant pot)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 bay leaves ( or 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½–1 teaspoon chipotle powder ( optional)
- ½–1 teaspoon smoked paprika ( optional)
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil ( optional)
- Place beans in a bowl or pot and pour 5 cups of water over top. Let them sit on the counter overnight or for 8 hours, until they will swell and double in size. Drain.
- Place soaked beans in a large pot with 5 cups of fresh water. Add salt, cumin, chili powder and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and turn heat to low then simmer gently until tender, about 2 hours.
- Drain the beans , reserving the cooking liquid, and removing the bay leaves.
- Place them in the food processor with the additional salt and spices. Add 1- 1 ½ cups of the cooking liquid into the food processor and puree until smooth. Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil to the puree, if you like for extra richness and delicious flavor.
- Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve, or divide and freeze, or simply refrigerate for the week. They will keep for 3-4 days.
Keywords: instant pot refried beans, refried beans, refried bean recipe, refried beans recipe, refried beans recipes, how to make refried beans, homemade refried beans, vegan refried beans