Introducing Tlayudas! Traditional Oaxacan street food, tlayudas are a cross between a tostada and a pizza, made with a crispy tortilla, topped with refried beans, cheese (optional) cabbage slaw, avocado and cilantro. This healthy version is vegan and GF adaptable!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: vegan main
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 to 4 whole grain tortillas ( or sub GF tortillas) 8-10 inches wide
- ½ head of cabbage ( 14-16 ounces), shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 radishes -thinly sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion – or sub pickled onions or pickled shallots
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more taste
- ½ an english cucumber- sliced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno- finely chopped- optional
- ¼-½ cup scallions sliced
- ¼-½ cup cilantro- chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus a little zest
- 1 can refried beans- or make refried beans form scratch!
- Chicken carnitas ( optional)
- Crumbled Queso Freso Cheese ( optional)
- Optional additions- Chipotle Mayo, sliced avocado, summer tomatoes, grilled corn, shredded chicken, beef or pork, browned chorizo ( soy or pork), hot sauce, queso fresco cheese, Avocado Cilantro sauce ( recipe below)
Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- 1 medium avocado (perfectly ripe)
- 4-6 jalapeno slices
- 1 garlic clove
- handful cilantro- ¼ -½ cup ( tender stems, OK)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 275 F
- Toast tortillas directly on the oven racks ( no sheet pan) until crisp, about 20 minutes. This is key- they need to be very crispy and dry, not bendy. You can make these ahead.
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, radish, onion, and toss in a large bowl with the salt. ( This will seem like a LOT at first, but will it will release liquid and shrink down.)
- Add the cucumber, jalapeño, scallions and cilantro, Toss well, then add olive oil and lime juice and a little zest. Let it rest on the counter – or make this ahead and refrigerate.
- If making the avocado sauce- make this now- placing everything in a food processor and blending until smooth. Taste, adjust salt and spice level adding more jalapeño if needed. Place in a bowl.
- When ready to assemble, heat the refried beans, adding salt,seasoning with cumin and coriander if you want. If using chicken, heat it up now.
- To assemble Carefully later up the beans on the tortilla. At this point you could add the chicken and cheese- or leave it off and keep it vegan. Top with a generous mound of slaw. Spoon over avocado sauce( or sliced avocado).
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs, hot sauce, lime wedge, pickled onions or shallots. Serve immediately (with knife and fork) while the beans are warm and the tortillas are still crisp.
Keywords: Tlayudas Recipe, mexican pizza recipe, mexican flat bread, vegan tostadas, mexican pizza, oaxacan street food, tlayuda,