This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
A simple healthy recipe for Asian Slaw – easy and crunchy, this vegan slaw can be made ahead and is delicious alongside miso salmon, or these easy salmon cakes, ginger tofu, or stuffed into tacos or added to buddha bowls—a great way to add more cruciferous veggies into our everyday meals. See our 25+ Amazing Cabbage Recipes!
This Asian Cabbage Slaw is easy to make and packed full of flavor! A wonderful excuse to purchase one of those stunning cabbages at the farmers’ market. It’s also a fantastic way to use up all the stray veggies in the fridge- that remaining half cabbage, the stray carrot or parsnip, or the leftover bell pepper.
If you are part of a CSA or shop at the farmers market, many of the veggies you’ll find there can be added to this slaw – like kohlrabi, turnips, beets, or brussels sprouts. Such an easy, useful way to add more veggies into our everyday diet.
How to Make Asian Slaw! | video
Why I love this recipe: The Asian Slaw Dressing!
The Asian Slaw Dressing is the best! Not only is it made with accessible ingredients you most likely have in your pantry, it seems to have the right balance of sweet, tart and depth with just a little heat. And of course, you can personalize it even further to your own tastes.
Asian Slaw Ingredients!
- Cabbage (any type will work here- purple, green, napa, etc) and/or other shreddable veggies- carrots, bell pepper, snow peas, kohlrabi, jicama, broccoli “slaw”, etc.
- Cilantro – adds so much flavor here!
- Scallions- or sub-thinly sliced onion
- Olive oil and toasted sesame oil
- Rice wine vinegar –rice wine vinegar is milder than most other vinegars and less acidic.
- Sweetener- maple syrup, honey, brown rice syrup, or agave
- Soy sauce (or GF alternative like Braggs or Coconut Amino Acids)
- Fresh garlic
- Fresh ginger
- Chili paste (optional)
Time-saving Slaw Tips
- If short on time, many grocery stores offer gourmet “slaw mixes” already pre-shredded! These are perfect for this recipe: brussel sprouts slaw, broccoli slaw, carrot slaw… you get the idea. It’s a basic recipe designed to be used as a base for your own creations.
- To save time, use ginger paste (in a tube) and garlic paste if you like!
What I love about this easy Asian Slaw is if I’m in a hurry, I know I can grab a bag of slaw mix from the grocery store, and whip this up in 10 minutes- a healthy, light salad that goes with so many things. The leftover slaw stays crunchy and seems to even get better with time.
What to serve with Asian Slaw
- Salmon Cakes
- Japanese Salmon Rice Bowls
- Chicken Katsu (or Tofu Katsu!)
- Simple Baked Miso Salmon
- Seasoned Japanese Rice with Furikake
- Teriyaki Salmon with Baby Bok Choy
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
This is also a great way to use up stray veggies in the fridge, incorporating more nutrients into the slaw- salad turnips, kohlrabi, jicama, radishes… pretty much anything crunchy!
Other Recipes you may enjoy:
- 26+ Amazing Cabbage Recipes
- Warm Red Cabbage Slaw
- Kohlrabi Slaw with Cilantro, Jalapeño and Lime
- Asian Cucumber Salad
- Thai Crunch Salad with Peanut Ginger Dressing
- Lebanese Slaw (Salatet Malfouf)
- Lemony Kale Slaw
- Mexican Slaw with Cilantro and Lime
- Thai Noodle Salad with the BEST EVER Peanut Sauce
- Miso Eggplant
Hope you are having a great week, finding the beauty in what surrounds you. Even if it is simply in the face of cabbage, a beautiful, giant edible flower full of healing nutrients.
Easy Crunchy Asian Slaw (w/ BEST Asian Dressing!)
- Prep Time: 20
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Salad, vegan, slaw, dressing
- Method: tossed
- Cuisine: Asian
- Diet: Vegan
Easy Crunchy Asian Slaw with the Best Asian Dressing! A simple vegan slaw with that can be made in 20 minutes and made ahead! Serve this alongside fish, tofu, or chicken or stuffed into tacos, topped onto burgers, or added to buddha bowls.
- 1 lb shredded cabbage -roughly 6-7 cups (see notes)
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped (or sub Italian Parsley)
Asian Slaw Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey (for vegan-substitute maple syrup or agave)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or GF alternative like Braggs or Coconut Amino Acids)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced ( use a garlic press)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes or chili paste ( optional)
- Toasted sesame seeds
- roasted, crushed peanuts or cashews
- Toss slaw ingredients together in a large bowl. Add cilantro and scallions.
- Whisk Asian Slaw Dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing into slaw and toss well.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and/ or nuts.
- Feel free to Substitute shredded carrots, bell pepper, snow peas, broccoli slaw, shredded Brussels sprouts, for part of the cabbage. ( For example, I’ll often do 5 cups cabbage, 1 cup carrots, 1 cup bell pepper)
- Salad will keep up to 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: 14.9 g
- Sodium: 297.9 mg
- Fat: 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.6 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0.3 mg
Keywords: asian slaw, asian slaw recipe, best asian slaw, easy asian slaw, crunchy asian slaw, vegan slaw, cabbage slaw, easy slaw recipe, asian slaw dressing, asian slaw dressing recipe
I used packaged slaw mix and added grilled chicken. This is amazing!!!!!
Perfect Jen! Fast and easy!
I made this for a potluck with cabbage from my garden and veggies from my fridge. I didn’t have any fresh garlic on hand, so I used dried, but it was delicious anyway. I will absolutely make this again.
Great to hear!
Fantastic, easy and so delicious! Very quick and jolly to assemble and the whole family loved it. Thanks again Sylvia! X
So great to hear Claire! 🙂
Made this to go with Asian Chicken made on the grill and everyone liked it. It has a good balance of flavors. I used premade coleslaw mix and followed the recipe from there. Topped with toasted sesame seeds and roasted peanuts.
Perfect, sounds tasty! how did you season the chicken?
I used shredded broccoli, shredded carrots, shredded turnips and cilantro. Delish!
How long does the dressing keep in the fridge please?
Up to 5 days. 🙂
I’ve made this Asian Slaw several times. Each time having to find it and your website. But now “I’ve signed up” so I can save it to my favorites. This slaw is delicious. Always a hit. I serve it with a marinated pork tenderloin💯🎯
If you haven’t tried this you should ❤️
Haven’t combined the slaw with wet ingredients yet, but just taste tested the dressing. Yummy!!
Oh good! Glad you liked it!