How to make Pickled Red Onions– a quick and easy recipe that can be made in 15 minutes flat! Give your favorite meals a huge burst of flavor, this recipe includes a Mexican version, Indian version and a Nordic version! Keeps up to one month in the fridge. Watch 30-second video!
Give all your favorite foods like tacos, bowls, burritos, wraps, or grilled meats a huge burst of flavor in an instant with pickled red onions!!! So easy, but the difference they can make to an ordinary meal, can be mind-blowing!
This recipe takes only 15 minutes, and you probably already have everything you need on hand…. so no excuses! Make a batch today of pickled onions and store them in the fridge for up to a month – but trust me, I doubt this small batch of deliciousness will even make it that long…. you’ll find a hundred uses for them!
Pickled Red Onions! | 35-sec video
How to make Pickled Red Onions?
- Simply simmer thinly sliced red onions in a mixture of vinegar (white, apple cider, red wine vinegar), water, salt, sugar (or honey or sugar alternative) along with any whole spices you like for 2-3 minutes on the stove.
- Cool, store in a jar and refrigerate!
- That is it!
Tips: Experiment with adding whole spices!
- Try whole coriander, peppercorns, cumin seeds, fennel seed, juniper berries, allspice, caraway, celery or even star anise!
- Mexican version of pickled onions: add sliced japeno and whole cumin and coriander seeds plus Mexican oregano to the pickling liquid. Add them to your Mexican Feast .
- Nordic version of pickled red onions: add fresh dill, caraway and peppercorns.
- Indian version of pickled onions: fennel seeds, coriander and either fenugreek or cilantro!
Of course….you don’t have to add them… but it’s fun and adds complexity!
Quick Pickled Onions will give your favorite foods a burst of flavor! They pair really well with many Mexican Recipes and I love them on Indian food – but they really go with almost everything.
A small batch recipe that is fast and easy and will elevate many dishes you already make.
What to use Pickled onions on?Print
A simple tasty recipe for Pickled Red Onions, that can be made in 15 minutes flat! Give your favorite foods like tacos, bowls, burritos, wraps, or grilled meats a huge burst of flavor in an instant. Store in the fridge for up to two months! This small-batch recipe is fast and easy and will elevate many dishes you already make.
- ½ a red onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup white vinegar, or use apple cider or red wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ –2 tablespoons sugar (or honey or other substitute)
- 1–2 teaspoons whole spices (optional- one or any combination of peppercorns, fennel seed, cumin, coriander, peppercorns, caraway, star anise, juniper, allspice.)
- optional additions:
- 1–2 garlic cloves, cut in half
- a couple bay leaves
- a teaspoon dried or fresh oregano ( if using on Mexican food)
- Thinly slice ½ a red onion. (Feel free to double the batch)
- Place the onion along with the vinegar, water, salt, sugar and whole spices and any optional additions in a small pot on the stove and bring to a simmer. Simmer 1 minute, stirring.
- Remove from the stove and let cool.
- Place onions and liquid in a clean jar and store in the fridge.
- Add fresh herbs if you like.
- This will last 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
- For a Mexican version of pickled onions, add sliced jalapeno and whole cumin and coriander seeds plus Mexican oregano to the pickling liquid.
- For a Nordic version of pickled red onions, add fresh dill, caraway and peppercorns.
- For an Indian version of pickled onions add fennel seeds, coriander and either fenugreek or cilantro!
Keywords: pickled red onions, pickled onions, pickled onion, pickling onions, how to pickle onions, best pickled onion recipe,