A simple tasty recipe for Pickled Red Onions, that can be made in 15 minutes flat! Give your favorite foods like tacos, bowls, burritos, wraps, or grilled meats a huge burst of flavor in an instant. Store in the fridge for up to two months! This small-batch recipe is fast and easy and will elevate many dishes you already make.
- 1/2 a red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar, or use apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 –2 tablespoons sugar (or honey or other substitute)
- 1–2 teaspoons whole spices (optional- one or any combination of peppercorns, fennel seed, cumin, coriander, peppercorns, caraway, star anise, juniper, allspice.)
- optional additions:
- 1-2 garlic cloves, cut in half
- a couple bay leaves
- a teaspoon dried or fresh oregano ( if using on Mexican food)
- Thinly slice ½ a red onion. (Feel free to double the batch)
- Place the onion along with the vinegar, water, salt, sugar and whole spices and any optional additions in a small pot on the stove and bring to a simmer. Simmer 1 minute, stirring.
- Remove from the stove and let cool.
- Place onions and liquid in a clean jar and store in the fridge.
- Add fresh herbs if you like.
- This will last 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
- For a Mexican version of pickled onions, add sliced jalapeno and whole cumin and coriander seeds plus Mexican oregano to the pickling liquid.
- For a Nordic version of pickled red onions, add fresh dill, caraway and peppercorns.
- For an Indian version of pickled onions add fennel seeds, coriander and either fenugreek or cilantro!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 8
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 116.7 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.8 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pickled red onions, pickled onions, pickled onion, pickling onions, how to pickle onions, best pickled onion recipe,