Here’s a simple recipe for Avocado Toast with Poached Eggs, arugula, Zaatar, meyer lemons and Spring radishes. It’s a flavorful meal, packed full of nutrients and perfect for breakfast, lunch, or even a light dinner. It’s very easy to make and can be made in 15 minutes flat! The Zaatar spice — a middle Eastern Spice Blend of cumin, sumac, thyme, coriander and sesame seeds — gives it an earthy, tangy flavor while the fragrant Meyer lemon adds a zesty brightness. Together, it’s a delicious combination. If you can’t find Zaatar, you can always make it, or simply use a sprinkle of cumin for a similar effect.
Today I am writing to you from a sweet little perch, sitting high above Lake Union in Seattle. It’s been a nice change of pace. We rented a little Air BnB, and from here the sky is big and dramatic — rainy, stormy, but at the same time, sunlit and rainbow-filled. Dark, heavy clouds hover in the distance, yet the sunbeams still manage to burst through. A rainbow is visible from end to end, huge and vibrant across the horizon. Somehow it feels like our lives right now — a mixture of all things….along with the promise of hope.
This recipe starts with good wholesome bread, sliced and lightly toasted.
Mash an avocado and mix it with lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Poach a couple of eggs. I find if you crack the egg into a small bowl first, it’s easier to slip into the simmering water to poach. Of course you can also fry the egg, over easy or however you like it.
Once the bread is toasted, spoon the avocado mixture over it and top with fresh crunchy radishes.
Mound the arugula over this, then drizzle with oil, lemon and salt, then top with the egg.
Serve it right away, breaking the yolk over the greens.
Avocado Toast with Zaatar, Poached Eggs, Radishes and Arugula
Avocado Toast with poached eggs, Zaatar, arugula, radish and meyer lemon. A simple delicious breakfast!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main, breakfast, brunch, eggs
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 1 ripe medium-large avocado
- 1 Meyer lemon- zest and juice (or use regular lemon)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil – divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices wholesome bread
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 Eggs (large) – cracked into a small bowl
- pinch salt and pepper
- generous pinch Zaatar spice (or sub cumin, sumac, or coriander)
- Aleppo chili flakes (optional)
- Set a medium pot, filled with two inches of lightly salted water with a teaspoon of white vinegar (optional) to boil on the stove.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, taking care to keep yolks intact, set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and scoop out the flesh into a small bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon zest, the juice from half a lemon, 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper and stir and mash with a fork to combine. It does not need to be smooth. Taste. Adjust salt, you want this to be slightly salty and lemony.
- Toast the bread.
- Once the water is boiling turn heat down so it’s just simmering. Give a stir, and slip the Eggland’s Best Eggs right into the simmering water, gently stirring in a circular motion around the eggs.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until egg white is set. Turn heat off.
- Spread 1/2 of the avocado mixture on the toast. Top with sliced radish. Top with a mound of baby arugula. Drizzle with olive oil, a little lemon, and salt.
- Using a slotted spoon place the poached egg over the dressed arugula.
- Sprinkle the Eggland’s Best Egg with salt, pepper and a generous pinch of Zaatar spice.
- Add chili flakes if you like.
- Calories: 385
Keywords: Avocado toast, avocado toast recipe, avocado toast with eggs, avocado toast with arugula, zaatar spiced eggs, avocado toast with zaatar