Here’s a simple recipe for Avocado Toast with Poached Eggs, arugula, Zaatar, meyer lemons and Spring radishes. It’s a flavorful meal, packed full of nutrients and perfect for breakfast, lunch, or even a light dinner. It’s very easy to make and can be made in 15 minutes flat! The Zaatar spice — a middle Eastern Spice Blend of cumin, sumac, thyme, coriander and sesame seeds — gives it an earthy, tangy flavor while the fragrant Meyer lemon adds a zesty brightness. Together, it’s a delicious combination. If you can’t find Zaatar, you can always make it, or simply use a sprinkle of cumin for a similar effect.
This recipe starts with good wholesome bread, sliced and lightly toasted.
Mash an avocado and mix it with lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Poach a couple of eggs. I find if you crack the egg into a small bowl first, it’s easier to slip into the simmering water to poach. Of course you can also fry the egg, over easy or however you like it.
Once the bread is toasted, spoon the avocado mixture over it and top with fresh crunchy radishes.Mound the arugula over this, then drizzle with oil, lemon and salt, then top with the egg.
Serve them right away, so yolks are still warm.
Avocado Toast with Zaatar, Poached Eggs, Radishes and Arugula
Avocado Toast with poached eggs, Zaatar, arugula, radish and meyer lemon. A simple delicious breakfast!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main, breakfast, brunch, eggs
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 lemon- zest and juice (or use meyer lemon)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil – divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices wholesome bread
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- 4 radishes, very thinly sliced
- 2 eggs (large) – cracked into a small bowl
- pinch salt and pepper
- generous pinch Zaatar spice (or sub cumin, sumac, or coriander)
- Aleppo chili flakes (optional)
- Set a medium pot, filled with 2-3 inches of lightly salted water with a teaspoon of white vinegar (optional) to boil on the stove. Crack the eggs into a bowl, taking care to keep yolks intact, set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and scoop out the flesh into a small bowl. Add 1 teaspoon zest, the juice from half a lemon, 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper and stir and mash with a fork to combine. It does not need to be smooth. Taste. Adjust salt, you want this to be slightly salty and lemony.
- Toast the bread.
- Once the water is boiling turn heat down so it’s just simmering. Gently slip the the Eggs right into the simmering water. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until egg white is set. Turn heat off.
- Spread 1/2 of the avocado mixture on the toast. Top with sliced radish. Top with a mound of baby arugula. Drizzle with olive oil, a little lemon, and salt.
- Using a slotted spoon, loosen the egg carefully from the pan and place the poached egg over the dressed arugula.
- Sprinkle the Egg with salt, pepper and a generous pinch of Zaatar spice.
- Add aleppo chili flakes if you like or a drizzle of zhoug or gremolata.
- Serve immediately while yolks are still warm!
- Calories: 385
Keywords: Avocado toast, avocado toast recipe, avocado toast with eggs, avocado toast with arugula, zaatar spiced eggs, avocado toast with zaatar