Avocado Toast with poached eggs, Zaatar, arugula, radish and meyer lemon. A simple delicious breakfast! Feel free to keep this vegan, omitting the eggs!
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 lemon- zest and juice (or use meyer lemon)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil – divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices wholesome bread
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- 4 radishes, very thinly sliced
- 2 eggs (large) – cracked into a small bowl ( eggs are optional-see notes)
- pinch salt and pepper
- generous pinch Zaatar spice (or sub cumin, sumac, or coriander)
- Aleppo chili flakes (optional)
- zhoug sauce ( optional)
- Set a medium pot, filled with 2-3 inches of lightly salted water with a teaspoon of white vinegar (optional) to boil on the stove. Crack the eggs into a bowl, taking care to keep yolks intact, set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and scoop out the flesh into a small bowl. Add 1 teaspoon zest, the juice from half a lemon, 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper and stir and mash with a fork to combine. It does not need to be smooth. Taste. Adjust salt, you want this to be slightly salty and lemony.
- Toast the bread.
- Once the water is boiling turn heat down so it’s just simmering. Gently slip the the Eggs right into the simmering water. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until egg white is set. Turn heat off.
- Spread 1/2 of the avocado mixture on the toast. Top with sliced radish. Top with a mound of baby arugula. Drizzle with olive oil, a little lemon, and salt.
- Using a slotted spoon, loosen the egg carefully from the pan and place the poached egg over the dressed arugula.
- Sprinkle the Egg with salt, pepper and a generous pinch of Zaatar spice.
- Add aleppo chili flakes if you like or a drizzle of zhoug or gremolata.
- Serve immediately while yolks are still warm!
- Calories: 385
Keywords: Avocado toast, avocado toast recipe, avocado toast with eggs, avocado toast with arugula, zaatar spiced eggs, avocado toast with zaatar