A summer Wedge Salad with romaine hearts, roasted beets, tomatoes, radishes and a creamy Gorgonzola Dressing.
- 3–4 baby romaine hearts or little gems
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cup beets, roasted or blanched, chilled, diced or cut into wedges
- 1 cup sliced radishes (or cucumber)
- ¼ cup very finely sliced red onion
- ½ cup bacon crumbles (optional, see recipe below)
- Fresh chives for sprinkling
Creamy Gorgonzola ( or blue cheese) Dressing:
- 1 cup mayo
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ lb Gorgonzola cheese or blue cheese ( if you can find smoked gorgonzola or smoked blue cheese- use it!)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons, finely chopped shallot or onion
- 1 tsp prepared horseradish (optional)
- 2 tablespoon red wine or white vinegar
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Make mustard maple glazed bacon if using: Mix mustard and maple syrup together in a tiny bowl, and brush on both sides of bacon. Place on a sheet pan, or a couple pieces of oil, with edges turned up to catch the oil. Bake in a 400 F oven until crispy, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, blot and chill. Crumble with your fingers.
Make dressing: Mix all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and immediately refrigerate. You want the dressing to be really cold! Feel free to make ahead!
When ready to serve, cut the romaine hearts into long quarters, and lay side by side on a platter. Arrange the remaining veggies, down the center, over the romaine.
Pour the chilled dressing down the center, over the veggies, sprinkle with the crumbled bacon and chives and serve immediately.
The key to this salad– is making sure the salad is very cold and every ingredient is chilled. You can make the salad a few hours ahead, refrigerate, then add the dressing when ready to serve.
- Calories: 495
Keywords: beet salad, beet salad recipe, wedge salad, wedge salad romaine, gorgonzola dressing, blue cheese dressing, summer salad recipe