Ingredients in Wedge Salad
- Lettuce- Little gems, romaine hears or iceberg lettuce – use a cool crisp sturdy lettuce, one that will hold up to the dressing).
- Veggies: tomatoes, radishes, beets, salad turnips, or cucumber
- Herbs: flat-leaf parsley, dill, basil or tarragon
- Dressing: Creamy Gorgonzola or Blue Cheese
- Toppings: Bacon Crumbles or Coconut Bacon, toasted seeds (pumpkin or sunflower), nuts ( toasted hazelnuts, etc.)
How to make Wedge Salad
Step One: Cook the Beets
Roast or blanch until tender, peel and slice. Chill!! You can do this ahead so the beets are really good and cold.
Step Two: Make the Dressing
Simply whisk the ingredients together. The gorgonzola dressing is best COLD, so be sure to chill it.
To elevate the dressing try using smoked blue cheese if you can find it!
More recipes you may like:
Cool and crisp Wedge Salad with little gems, beets, tomatoes, radishes, herbs and coconut bacon, topped with Creamy Gorgonzola dressing.
- 3–4 baby little gems, romaine hearts or 1 large iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups beets, roasted or blanched, chilled, diced, or cut into wedges
- 1 cup sliced radishes (or cucumber)
- 1/8 cup very finely sliced red onion, optional
- 1/2 cup coconut bacon (see notes) or bacon crumbles (or sub vegan bacon bits)
- Fresh herbs- parsley, chives, basil, dill, or tarragon
- Gorgonzola crumbles
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese (2 ounces) or sub-smoked blue cheese for MORE flavor
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot or onion
- 1 tablespoon vinegar- Apple cider, red wine or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- optional– a splash of Worcestershire sauce (for more depth) or 1/2 teaspoon horseradish for a little kick.
- Cook (roast or steam) the beets and chill. Peel and either slice or dice.
- Make the dressing: Mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and immediately refrigerate. You want the dressing to be really cold! Feel free to make ahead!
- Assemble: When ready to serve, cut the little gems into halves or quarters and place on individual plates. Pour some of the chilled dressing over the top, add the veggies and herbs, and a little more dressing, and top with bacon or coconut bacon and gorgonzola crumbles and serve immediately. Alternatively, feel free to make a big bowl of salad -toss the wedges with the dressing, coating well, then add the veggies, herbs. Toss again, adding more dressing as needed. Top with coconut bacon and gorgonzola crumbles.
The key to this salad– is making sure the salad is very cold and every ingredient is chilled. You can make the dressing and beets ahead. I like to use my instant pot for steaming beets to keep the kitchen cool in summer.
To elevate, use smoked blue cheese in the dressing.
Instead of bacon crumbles, try making Coconut Bacon.
Any leftover dressing will keep 7 days in the fridge.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 495
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 1415.8 mg
- Fat: 35.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.1 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 16.1 g
- Cholesterol: 48.8 mg
Keywords: beet salad, beet salad recipe, wedge salad, wedge salad romaine, gorgonzola dressing, blue cheese dressing, summer salad recipe