This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This Enchilada Sauce Recipe is the BEST! With no cooking required, this red enchilada sauce comes together in five minutes flat, using a blender. Video. Plus 45 Fresh & Tasty Mexican Recipes!
Here’s the easiest tastiest Enchilada Sauce that requires no cooking, no chopping and can be made in literally five minutes, using a blender! You’ll never buy it again! Full of flavor, this red Enchilada Sauce is silky smooth and perfect for Vegetarian Enchiladas, Chicken Enchiladas, smothered burritos, or Enchilada Pie.
Enchilada Sauce Video
Table of Contents
Ingredients In Enchilada Sauce
- Tomatoes– diced, fire-roasted canned tomatoes are our go-to. But regular diced tomatoes work, tomato puree or even tomato sauce. If you have an abundance of fresh tomatoes, definitely use those!
- Vinegar- adds a tangy brightness to the sauce. Use apple cider, or any light colored vinegar.
- Garlic– easiest to use dried garlic powder or granulated garlic but fresh is best.
- Spices– a mix of chili powder, ground cumin, chipotle, oregano , salt and pepper totally create the depth of flavor in the sauce. Use fresh oregano if you have it!
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Why You’ll Love This Enchilada Sauce Recipe!
- No pre-cooking required! This untraditional Enchilada Sauce is made in reverse, blended then cooked. It cooks in the oven with your enchiladas- and it comes in very handy when short on time.
- Made with simple pantry ingredients. Most everyone has these basic ingredients on hand, saving you from the dreaded last-minute trip to the grocery store. (Very similar in flavor to Trader Joe’s bottled Enchilada Sauce.)
- Use fresh or canned tomatoes! During the summer months, use fresh tomatoes, and during the colder months, diced canned tomatoes or tomato puree work well too.
- It’s healthy. This is such an easy way to cut back on highly processed foods. You know exactly what is in this sauce. No artificial flavors or preservatives. Make it organic if you like. We intentionally leave out the flour so its gluten-free and vegan.
How to make Enchilada Sauce!
- Place enchilada sauce ingredients in blender. (If using tomato puree, you can whisk or stir ingredients in a bowl.)
- Blend until smooth.
- It’s done and ready to use!
How to store Enchilada Sauce
Refrigerate Enchilada Sauce up to 5 days in a sealed jar in the refrigerator, or freeze for up to 6 months in the freezer. I haven’t tried canning this recipe, but I am sure it could be done easily.
Of course, you can cook the Enchilada Sauce after you blend it- just simmer gently, over medium heat, covered in a saucepan for 10-15 minutes, but if using it on something that will be baked, or cooked, not need to simmer ahead of time.
Yes the sauce will stay fresh in the fridge for 4 days.
Yes! It freezes beautifully.
This easy enchilada sauce recipe is made from tomatoes, chili and Mexican spices.
In this authentic enchilada sauce recipe, the key is using high quality ingredients and achieving the perfect balance between savory depth, tangy and spicy heat.
There are many varieties of enchilada sauces. This version is red made with a tomato base. Green Enchilada sauce is made with tomatillos and green chilies.
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- Shrimp Enchiladas
- Chicken(or Turkey) Enchiladas with Black Beans
- Butternut Squash Enchiladas
- 45 Fresh & Tasty Mexican Recipes!
A fast and easy recipe for Enchilada Sauce, not lacking in flavor!
Love this recipe? Please let us know in the comments and leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below the recipe card.Print
A quick and easy, homemade, red enchilada sauce recipe that requires no cooking! Can be made in 5 minutes using a blender.
- 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes (with juices) preferably fire-roasted tomatoes (or sub-crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato puree, or 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or onion powder, or 2–3 garlic cloves)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 2 teaspoons fresh)
- optional: 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder or cayenne pepper (or smoked paprika for smoky flavor) more to taste.
The sauce will keep 4 days in the fridge or can be frozen.
- Serving Size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 47
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 377.6 mg
- Fat: 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.7 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 0.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: enchilada sauce, enchilada sauce recipe, best enchilada sauce, 5 minute enchilada sauce, homemade enchilada sauce, quick enchilada sauce, no cook enchilada sauce, easy enchilada sauce, 5 minute enchilada sauce, best enchilada sauce recipe,