WATCH HOW TO MAKE Grilled Chicken Shawarma!
Chicken Shawarma Spices:
Toasting the whole seeds gives the marinade better, more intense flavor, but using ground spices is quicker and easier and works well too! See the recipe card for full details.
Place the chicken shawarma on a hot grill, either whole or threaded onto skewers.
Once they get a nice char, either turn the heat down and cover, to cook through, or place into a 350 F oven until chicken is cooked through.
What to Serve with Chicken Shawarma:
Pick any of the following!
- Israeli Salad, Tabouli Salad, or Lebanese Slaw
- Baba Ganoush
- Green Tahini Sauce
- Homemade Pita Bread
- Grilled Za’atar Zucchini
- Basmati Rice (Middle Eastern version)
- 2 lbs to 2 ¼ lb chicken thighs (boneless and skinless, or skin on- see notes)
- Place all marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix, or pulse in a food processor to make a paste.
- Rub chicken on all sides with the marinade and let sit 20 minutes (or up to 24-48 hours refrigerated). You can also cut chicken into 1-inch cubes and make skewers.
- Grill chicken on a pre-heated Grill, on medium-high heat, closing the lid to the BBQ, until all sides have nice grill marks, about 8 minutes each side. Move to a cooler part of the grill or finish cooking chicken in a 350 F oven until cooked all the way through, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, you can bake the chicken thighs in a 375 F oven for 30-40 minutes)
- Enjoy the chicken shawarma over Israeli salad, or with rice and veggies, or with pita bread and tzatziki
Feel free to use chicken breasts, understanding grilling time will shorten. I prefer thighs because they are pretty hard to overcook/dry out.
If using skewers: Make sure to soak wood skewers in water, at least 30 minutes so they don’t burn. Marinate the cubes of chicken in a bowl for at least 20 minutes, before skewering.
Keywords: chicken shawarma, grilled chicken shawarma, chicken shawarma recipe, chicken shawarma calories, chicken shawarma calories, chicken shawarma marinade, grilled chicken shawarma