Roasted Zaatar Chicken ( or tofu) with Broccolini and Spring Green Tahini Sauce
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Sheet Pan
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 2 4-6 ounce pieces chicken – or tofu – or both! See notes.
- 6–8 ounces broccolini or broccoli rabe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- generous pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon zaatar spice blend ( or see notes)
- zest from one lemon
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 fat garlic cloves
- 2–3 thin slices jalapeno ( optional, or use cayenne to taste)
- 1 small bunch cilantro ( small stems ok, or sub Italian parsley)
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
Skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs and legs will for sure have the best flavor, but feel free to use breast meat for lower fat and calories. When choosing tofu -use firm or extra firm tofu. ( I love Trader Joe’s organic, sprouted tofu.) Blot dry and cut into ¾-1 inch thick pieces.
If you can’t find zaatar, sub an equal blend of cumin, coriander and sesame seeds ( 1 tsp each) and a pinch of dried thyme if you have it. Sumac gives zaatar it’s tang, so if you don’t have it, a squeeze of lemon at the end of roasting will mimic this. Make sure to season chicken and tofu with salt.