To make the marinade, blend everything in the blender. Don’t neglect the spices, they really add the depth and intrigue needed to balance out the flavors. Allspice is especially important.
I could not find scotch bonnet peppers so I subbed 1 habenero and 1 jalapeño. Chicken was 2 stars in spiciness. The next time I used 2 habeneros, and it bumped it up to 3 stars, perfect for us. To mellow out the heat a bit- use 2 jalapeños.
I recommend boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. They are more tender and juicy than breasts which tend to dry out. Cut thin into ¾ to 1 inch chunks, pour the marinade over, and let sit at least 30 min, but preferably longer, 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
Slice the peaches into wedges, about ¾ an inch thick.
Using gloves ( the marinade is spicy) thread chicken and peaches on to soaked skewers.
Serve on a platter and enjoy outside!!!
Grilled Jerk Chicken and Peach Skewers
Grilled Jerk Chicken and Peach skewers by Sylvia fountaine, feasting at home July-5-2014 Flavorful Caribbean style chicken, with Jerk marinade, paired with peaches, grilled on skewers.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 12 skewers- serves 4
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- *a pair of kitchen gloves ( marinade is spicy) for sensitive hands
- *12 soaked skewers
- 2 lbs chicken thigh (boneless, skinless)-
- 3-4 peaches
- handful of cilantro for garnish
- Marinade Ingredients:
- ⅓ C olive oil ( or vegetable)
- ⅓ Cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- ⅓ C brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 2 Scotch bonnet peppers, or habaneros, or jalapeños with seeds, chopped in half
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves ( or 1 T dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T plus 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 T ground ginger or ⅛ cup fresh sliced ginger
- Soak the skewers. Cut the thicken thighs into 1 inch chunks and place in a bowl.
- Place all the marinade ingredients in the blender, and blend until relatively smooth. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Let sit 30 minutes or up to 1 hour. ( The longer your marinate, the spicier they will become.)
- Pre heat the grill to medium high.
- Slice the peaches, to ¾ inch thick wedges.
- Using gloves, skewer the chicken and peaches. The marinade will naturally get on the peaches which is a good thing.
- Grill until all sides are nicely seared with grill marks. Turn heat down to LOW, place on a piece of heavy duty foil, folding up the edges to catch the drippings, and close the lid, letting chicken cook all the way through, until done.
- Place on a platter, drizzle “cooked” marinade from the foil over the skewers, and sprinkle with cilantro. Enjoy with a big salad.
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Total time:
- Yield: 12 skewers