Ingredients in Vegan Mac and Cheese:
Boots is nearing its one-year anniversary. About this time last year, Alison and her husband Arden, were still in the thick of it. Amidst ladders, paint cans, table saws and layers of dust it was hard to imagine a hip urban space, let alone a smoothly running and successful cafe. But that’s what it has become.
And for the health-conscious, vegans and gluten-free folk, it is a dream come true. Boots offers vegan and gluten-free fare, scratch-made cocktails, and sweet treats, in a unique and fun environment. Alison, Arden and her friendly staff go out of their way to make you feel part of the family. “If you come here once, you are a regular. We don’t have customers, we have friends.” states Alison. And after spending a few minutes with her, you feel as if you’ve been friends your whole life.
How to make Vegan Mac and Cheese
STEP TWO: Make the Vegan Cheesy Sauce!
She adds nutritional yeast which really boosts the health benefits and gives it a rich cheesy flavor. Nutritional yeast, if you are unfamiliar, is packed with protein and vitamins, particularly B vitamins, as well as folic acid, selenium and zinc.
It’s low in fat and gluten-free. A tablespoon or two added to vegan soups or other dishes can add depth, nuttiness, umami and richness, really enhancing the flavor that is already there. And it works great in this Mac and Cheese Recipe.
Once the pasta is done, about 7 minutes later, she very gently strains it.
STEP THREE: Add veggies!
Alison adds roasted cremini mushrooms and fresh chopped kale to this Mac and Cheese, but you could add any vegetable you like.
Chop fresh kale and add it to the pasta.
STEP FOUR: COMBINE!
Gently fold in the “cheesy sauce” into the pasta and veggies, and carefully stir, so as not to break up the pasta.
You could also place it in a warm oven, covered, for a few minutes before serving.
More recipes you may like:
- 40 Mouthwatering Vegan Dinner Recipes
- Vegan Cheesy Sprinkle
- Zesty Vegan Pasta with Cashew Alfredo Sauce
- Creamy Pea Pasta (Vegan)
- Orecchiette with Creamy Carrot Miso Sauce ( Vegan)
Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese with Kale and Mushrooms. A simple fast vegan dinner recipe, ready in under 30 minutes. Gluten-free adaptable!
- 4 cups dry elbow macaroni (or sub gluten-free noodles)
- 1 pkg (12 ounces) Non-Gmo Organic Silken Tofu
- 3 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Garlic ( or 1–2 raw cloves- or 4–5 roasted garlic cloves )
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2–3 cups mushrooms roasted or pan sautéed (your choice on variety)
- 4–5 leaves kale, chopped
- Get salted pasta water boiling. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain, saving a little pasta water.
- Chop and either sauté or roast mushrooms in the oven with a little olive oil and salt. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the sauce ingredients until silky smooth: silken tofu, yeast flakes, garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil.
- Place noodles back in the same pot and pour in the cheese sauce, gently warming over low heat.
- Add the sauteed mushrooms and kale. Toss and taste for salt, adjusting. Add a little pasta water to loosen if you like.
- Serve immediately in bowls or place in a baking dish, covered, and keep warm in an oven until ready to serve.
- Feel free to top with this Vegan Cheesy Sprinkle
Leftovers will keep 4 days in the fridge.
- Calories: 346
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese, healthy mac and cheese, vegan mac and cheese recipe