This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
How to make Muesli! A healthy, low-calorie, sugar-free, oil-free, alternative to granola, that can be made ahead with ingredients you probably already have, and best of all, no cooking required! Vegan and Gluten-free, in just 10 minutes.
What is Muesli?
Muesli is a classic European breakfast cereal typically made with raw rolled oats, nuts, dried fruits, and seeds. Created by a physician in Switzerland named Maximilian Bircher-Benner, it is often referred to as “Bircher Muesli”.
Like granola, muesli differs in three ways; muesli is not toasted, nor is there any oil or sweetener added.
It’s granola’s healthier cousin! Sugar-free with no added fat, meaning a lot fewer calories, but still just as filling! But the real benefit here is that raw oats are like little scrubbers for our arteries, lowering our cholesterol levels!
- Rolled Oats– I always opt for organic, gluten-free oats when possible.
- Nuts and seeds – Choose 3 varites; pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts, almonds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, or any others!
- Dried fruit– I love dried goji berries, raisins, craisins, dried currants, dried cherries, dried apples, dried pears, or even dried mango.
- Coconut flakes – optional but super tasty.
How to make Muesli
This Muesli recipe can be made in 10 minutes flat and is a great way to sift and sort through your pantry and use up what you already have. No cooking is required; simply assemble in a bowl, mix and store!
This Muesli recipe makes enough for 8 cups which will get you through 2 weeks of breakfast. A nice make-ahead breakfast to have on hand when time is short and life is busy.
Store muesli in a 2-quart jar, for up two 2 months.
Ways to Serve Muesli
Changing the fresh fruit you serve overtop gives it enough variety to make it interesting. Pour vanilla nut milk over the top and add berries for a light, filling breakfast. In summer, use fresh berries; in winter, warm milk or warm apples are nice. Or even apple sauce. If feeling especially hungry sometimes I spoon a couple of spoonfuls of almond butter over the top.
- Add milk– warm or cold, dairy milk or nut-based milks, or soy milk. I love vanilla almond milk or soy milk.
- Add Yogurt- again, dairy or plant-based yogurt.
- Add honey or maple syup- optional but tasty.
- Add Applesauce- cold or warm
- Add fresh berries or fruit
- Add almond butter
- Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon
I love this healthy breakfast- it feels so wholesome and filling. Give it a try and see what you think! Please let us know in the comments below!
More Oat Recipes!
How to make Muesli- a highly nutritious and filling, low fat, sugar-free, make-ahead, alternative to granola! Make this with ingredients you already have! Feel free to use GF Rolled oats or grains! Serve with nut milk- like vanilla flavored, unsweetened almond or hemp milk, and fresh berries and fruit.
- 4 cups organic rolled oats or other grain, toasted if you like
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, or a mix
- 1 cup toasted nuts – slivered almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds ( optional)
- 2 tablespoons whole flax seeds ( optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut ( optional)
- 1 cup dried fruit- cranberries, raisins, cherries, goji berries, raspberries, blueberries
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Store in a large 8-cup air-tight jar.
- Serve with plant-based milk ( warm or cold) or yogurt, fresh berries or fruit and a drizzle of honey or maple.
Keep this GF, by using gluten-free rolled oats or grains. To cut back further on calories, add less nuts and coconut. If you need to add a little honey to your morning muesli at first ( to make it more palatable) just do it- you can gradually wean yourself off of it. Vanilla-flavored nut milks that are unsweetened work best for me.
- Serving Size: ½ cup-includes all optional seeds, nuts, coconut and raisins.
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 7.1 g
- Sodium: 4.3 mg
- Fat: 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.3 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 8.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: muesli, muesli recipe, bircher muesli, how to make muesli, what is muesli, easy muesli recipe, healthy muesli recipe, vegan muesli