How to make Creamy Overnight Oats, an easy no-cook technique for a healthy grab-and-go breakfast or snack that is full of fiber and vegan-adaptable. Top with fruit, nuts, seeds, peanut butter and yogurt. Try our Super Food Crunch Mix (recipe included in recipe card notes)! Includes a video.
Through Love all that is bitter will be sweet, through Love all that is copper will be gold, through Love all dregs will become wine, through Love all pain will turn to medicine. ~Rumi
Honestly, I was not sold on Overnight Oats until I found a method and combination of ingredients that make them truly creamy, perfectly chewy and most importantly for me, not gloppy or goopy.
After some trial and error and tweaking, I am quite happy and delighted when I open the fridge in the morning and find these lovely little jars waiting for me. It is really nourishing to do these things for ourselves. Self-care is so important and every little thing counts. Starting the day with a little breakfast gift for yourself is happiness in a jar!
Coconut milk makes these rich, naturally sweet, and ultra-creamy. You can also use yogurt, or other milk of choice such as almond milk or hemp milk if you prefer. Chia seeds really contribute to the texture, you hardly notice them, they seem to absorb some of the starchiness of the oats and give a smoother mouthfeel. Plus they are full of fiber, omega-3 and protein!
Don’t add that cinnamon until the morning! It is one of the culprits in producing a gluey texture.
Overnight Oats | 60-Sec Video
What is so special about overnight oats?
Oats are packed with nutrients and full of fiber becoming more digestible when soaked overnight. The soaking increases mineral absorption and does not interfere with digestive enzymes.
Overnight Oats are a great source of resistant starch feeding the good bacteria in your gut, boosting metabolism and speeding up calorie burning!
Having breakfast waiting for you when you wake up is a beautiful form of self-care! Treat yourself, you deserve it!
Some spices, especially cinnamon, can have a mucilaginous-like quality when soaked. This greatly affects the texture of the overnight oats making the oats pasty and goopy.☹️
Add your spices just before eating, unless you don’t mind this texture.
Ingredients in Overnight Oats
- regular rolled oats
- coconut milk or yogurt
- water or milk (your favorite: almond milk, hemp milk, etc.)
- vanilla extract
- maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- chia seeds (optional)
What type of Oats are best to use for Creamy Overnight Oats?
- Regular rolled oats give the best results. The oats still have some texture but are soft enough to chew.
- Instant oats completely break down turning soft and mushy. But if you like that texture then go for it! Make it your way.
- Steel Cut Oats can be used although they need more time and liquid to soften.
How to make Creamy Overnight Oats
Start with rolled oats-organic, gluten-free, old-fashioned oats all work fine.
You can also make this in individual containers for an individual grab-and-go breakfast. 1/2 pint mason jars are great for this!
Coconut milk makes these rich and gives a less gluey yet ultra-creamy texture and adds natural sweetness. You can also use yogurt or other milk of choice such as almond milk or hemp milk. Add maple syrup and vanilla.
Raisins, currants, dates, orange or lemon zest, chocolate chips, nut butter are all good to add in now to flavor your oats.
Mix up thoroughly.
Serve with your favorite toppings, adding more milk or yogurt if needed.
How long do overnight oats last?
They remain fresh for four days refrigerated in a sealed container.
Can you eat overnight oats hot?
Yes! Just lightly heat when ready to serve.
Are Oats Gluten-Free?
My understanding is that oats are naturally gluten-free the issue is more cross-contamination. Oats that are labeled gluten-free have been grown in fields that have not grown gluten grains, processed with equipment that is gluten-free, including gluten-free trucks. If you have a sensitivity it is best to avoid bulk bins as cross-contamination is hard to avoid.
Variations on Creamy Overnight Oats
Get creative with toppings!
- fresh fruit: berries, bananas, pears, peaches, apples
- dried fruit: raisins, dates, dried cherries, currants, goji berries
- nut and seed butter: peanut butter, almond butter, tahini, pumpkin seed butter, sunflower seed butter
- toasted nuts: almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews
- seeds: sunflower, pumpkin seed, sesame seeds, hemp seeds
- toasted coconut flakes
- chocolate: cocoa powder, chocolate chips or cocoa nibs
- spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, pumpkin pie spices, chai spice
This Super Food Crunch Topping (recipe in the recipe card notes) is super versatile and adaptable. It is easy to make and so convenient to sprinkle over your Creamy Overnight Oats, adding delicious texture and massive nutrients.
Lightly toast nuts, seeds and coconut.
Feel free to adapt and create your own favorite blend!
Store in a sealed container.
Let us know what you think!
More recipes you may enjoyPrint
Creamy Overnight Oats, a no-cook technique for a healthy grab-and-go breakfast or snack that is full of fiber and completely adaptable. This base recipe is easy to make ahead. Top with fruit, nuts, seeds, peanut butter and yogurt. Just 10 minutes of hands-on time, before going into the fridge overnight.
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/3 cup coconut milk or yogurt ( or use vegan yogurt)
- 1/4 cup water or milk (your favorite: almond milk, hemp milk, etc.)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds (optional)
- 2 cups regular rolled oats
- 1 1/3 cups coconut milk or yogurt
- 1 cup water or milk (your favorite: almond milk, hemp milk, etc.)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2–3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds
Add overnight: raisins, currants, dates, orange or lemon zest, chocolate chips, nut butter
Add morning of: fresh fruit, spices, toasted nuts and seeds, cocoa nibs, toasted unsweetened coconut, a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Place in a sealed container.
- Store in the fridge overnight.
- Top with desired toppings, add yogurt and more milk if needed.
Full-fat coconut milk will make a thicker texture. You may want to add less if using a different milk.
Super Food Crunch Mix
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 4.1 mg
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.4 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: overnight oats, vegan overnight oats, healthy overnight oats, how to make overnight oats, creamy overnight oats