5 Vegan, Make-Ahead, Morning Grain Bowls served up with different toppings for busy weekday breakfasts. Healthy, gluten-free and vegan-adaptable.
May I be the tiniest nail in the house of the universe, tiny but useful.
I’m up before dawn most mornings, naturally waking around 5 am, when the world is still hushed and dark. I heat the kettle on the stove and light a fire or a candle, whichever the weather calls for. With a steaming mug of coffee in hand and flickering firelight I spend the first hour visiting with old friends – Rumi, Mary Oliver, Rilke, while we watch the sun slowly rise. They remind me to feel. Everything. Deeply. These mornings seep into me, they feed and nourish me, well beyond food ever could.
But one must eat and these Morning Grain Bowls are a godsend. Here is a way to prep a week’s worth of breakfast bowls on Sunday, then serve it up 5 different ways during the week.
If you are like me, you probably have a lot of different grains in your pantry. Let’s use them up! The bowls are made with a whole grain, 3-5 servings, cooked ahead, then stored in the fridge to assemble and eat during the week in a variety of different ways. For example, this week, out of simplicity I picked quinoa. Last week it was buckwheat. The week before, millet. I cooked enough to make 5 breakfast bowls and then stored the cooked grains in the fridge. Each morning I pulled out a cup of grains, topped with different toppings and poured heated almond milk over top. So quick, easy and delicious. Here are just a few ways to doctor these up – and I know you will come up with your own creative variations – please share these below in the comments for additional inspiration to all our readers.
Here is the Almond Joy Bowl. Whole grains are topped with coconut flakes, toasted almonds and cocoa nibs. Make no mistake – cacao nibs are not chocolate chips. They are chocolate in its purest form, before anything else is added like sugar or fats. They have an intensely deep chocolate flavor similar to that of roasted coffee beans – slightly bitter and deliciously bold, with good texture and crunch. I love the burst of natural energy they give me on long catering days.
The next morning bowl is a Maple Pumpkin Pecan Morning Bowl, perfect for fall.
This next one is a Superfood Morning Bowl with Goji Berries, fresh berries, pumpkin seeds, topped with coconut and warmed almond milk. Goji berries, if unfamiliar have been enjoyed for over 2,000 years in Traditional Chinese Medicine. They can be eaten by the handful, or added to oats, cookies, trail mix and more. They contain a wealth of antioxidants and over 20 vitamins and minerals and are surprisingly high in protein. Perfect morning energy.
The next one is a savory one . . . . with avocado, greens and tomatoes. Add sprouts and herbs if you like.
Or top with a happy egg! Add Sriracha.
The soft warm yolk dresses the grains.
Use these a jumping off point for your own delicious creations.
A little epiphany – in the past, I used to cringe over cold milk being poured over oats or grains. I could not stomach it. However, warmed almond milk changed everything. I am officially a fan.
Not only are these bowls packable and easy to take on the go – they are great for a crowd.
Just have the grains ready, and let people assemble their own bowl with a good selection of ingredients. Like a Morning Bowl “Bar.” Get it? 😉 An easy way to feed a large gathering . . . .
Happy delicious morning friends!
Morning Grain Bowls
A foundation recipe to make 5 Morning Grain Bowls for the workweek, Gluten free and Vegan adaptable.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 5 morning bowls 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: stove-top
- Cuisine: Vegan adaptable and Gluten Free
- 5 cups cooked whole grains – quinoa, buckwheat, millet, steel cup oats, brown rice, teff, amaranth
- Almond Joy Morning Bowl – flaked coconut, toasted almonds, cocoa nibs, honey ( or maple) and ½ cup warmed almond milk.
- Maple Pecan Pumpkin Bowl – roasted pumpkin, pecans, flax seeds, sprinkle of cinnamon, maple syrup, ½ cup warmed almond milk.
- Superfood Morning Bowl – fresh berries, goji berries, pumpkin seeds, flax, coconut flakes and warm almond milk.
- Banana Tahini Morning Bowl – sliced banana, tahini paste (or almond butter) honey ( or maple) warm almond milk.
- Avocado, Greens & Tomato Bowl – ½ avocado, tomato, arugula, 1 egg ( optional) poached, over easy, sunny side up, soft boiled) sriracha.
- Additional options– any seed or nut. Dried fruits. Fresh fruits. Cooked fruit. Maple, honey, agave. Coconut milk, soy milk, whole milk. Vanilla, spices- nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, cardamon. I’m sure you will think of more! Share in comments!
- Cook the grains ahead for the whole week. Refrigerate.
- Each morning, heat ½ cup almond milk (if using) assemble bowls with your favorite toppings.
- Pour ½ cup warm almond (or soy, coconut or regular) milk over top.
- These are also easily packable . . . . if possible, pack without milk. Heat milk right before serving. 🙂
Keywords: grain bowls, breakfast quinoa bowls, vegan breakfast recipes, vegan breakfast, vegan grain bowls, vegan oats, vegan breakfast bowls,