Healthy Yummy Mexican Breakfast Bowls with seasonal veggies like sweet potatoes, blackbeans, homemade turkey chorizo ( optional- or use vegan chorizo) avocado, cilantro and an egg.
Weekend mornings start off slow around here, with breakfast sometimes morphing into the lunch hour. By the time we’ve gotten around to it, it’s already noon and we’re famished. It was Brian who first started making these hearty Breakfast Bowls for us, and I really love them because each time they are just a little different, based on what we have on hand and what’s in season.
Here, they’re with roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, a lightened-up turkey chorizo, avocado, cilantro, scallions and an egg. (Leave off the chorizo, or sub soy chorizo for a vegetarian version.) In summer, add tomatoes or sautéed bell pepper or even zucchini, keeping it seasonal. In fall, try it with braised kale, bacon, white beans and sage. You get the idea.
The eggs can be scrambled, poached, over easy, sunny side up or however you like. You can even leave the eggs off all together and scramble tofu, which I really like too.
The sweet potatoes can be roasted in the oven or cooked in a skillet.
The easy flavorful Turkey Chorizo can be whipped up very quickly – and the best thing is the leftover turkey chorizo is delicious in so many other things too – think tacos, burritos, pizza or nachos or this Enchilada Pie Recipe
Heat and season the beans. Scramble or fry the eggs. And once your ingredients are ready, just assemble, dividing among the bowls.
Top with avocado, cilantro, scallions and tomatoes when in season.
Serve with hot sauce or a little dollop of sour cream.
Add a little hot sauce if you like ….or a little dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!Print
Healthy Yummy Mexican Breakfast Bowls
Healthy Yummy Mexican Breakfast Bowls with sweet potatoes, blackbeans, turkey chorizo ( optional) avocado, cilantro and and egg. | www.feastingathome.com
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Mexican
- ½ an onion- diced
- 2 small sweet potatoes (yams) – diced into ½ inch cubes ( optional) about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons oil
- generous pinch salt, pepper, chili powder
- 1 ½ cups cooked black beans ( or one can drained), seasoned ( optional)
- 2 cups Turkey Chorizo ( optional) or sub cooked ground turkey
- 4 Eggs
- Garnish: Avocado, cilantro, scallions, hot sauce, sour cream
- Other toppings: diced tomato, sautéed bell pepper or zucchini, or other veggies
- Toss onion and sweet potato with the oil, season with salt, pepper and chili powder and roast on a parchment lined baking sheet in a 400F oven until tender, about 20 minutes. (Alternatively, sear in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes.)
- If making chorizo, cook it with a little oil, browning it and breaking it apart into crumbles.
- Heat the black beans, season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of cumin.
- Prepare the eggs to you liking– either scrambled, over easy, sunny side up, poached.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, divide among 4 bowls. Divide the chorizo and black beans. Top with the eggs, avocado slices, cilantro and scallions. Add tomatoes if in season.
- Serve with hot sauce and sour cream.