Mexican Breakfast Bowls with sweet potatoes, black beans, turkey chorizo ( optional) avocado, cilantro and an egg. Lightened up and delicious!
- 1/2 an onion- diced
- 1 sweet potatoes (or yams) – diced into 1/2 inch cubes -about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons oil
- generous pinch salt, pepper, chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans ( or one can drained), heated and seasoned with 1 teaspoon cumin, chili powder and a pinch of salt.
- 2 cups Turkey Chorizo ( optional) or sub regular chorizo or vegan chorizo
- 4 Eggs
- Garnish: Avocado, cilantro, scallions, hot sauce, sour cream
- Other toppings: diced tomato, sautéed bell pepper or zucchini or other veggies
- Toss onion and sweet potato with the oil, season with salt, pepper and chili powder and roast on a parchment lined baking sheet in a 400F oven until tender, about 20 minutes. (Alternatively, sear in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes.)
- If making chorizo, cook it with a little oil, browning it and breaking it apart into crumbles.
- Heat the black beans, season with salt, chili pepper, and cumin.
- Prepare the eggs to your liking– either scrambled, over easy, sunny side up, or poached.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, divide among 4 bowls. Divide the chorizo and black beans. Top with the eggs, avocado slices, cilantro and scallions. Add fresh tomatoes if in season.
- Serve with your favorite hot sauce and a dollop of sour cream.
- Serving Size: - 4 breakfast bowls with 1/4 avocado, 1/2 cup turkey chorizo and 1 egg
- Calories: 442
- Sugar: 6.3 g
- Sodium: 508.2 mg
- Fat: 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.2 g
- Fiber: 12.3 g
- Protein: 25.7 g
- Cholesterol: 225.1 mg
Keywords: breakfast bowl, mexican breakfast bowl, healthy breakfast bowl, mexican breakfast recipes, mexican breakfast, burrito bowls, turkey chorizo,