This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Easy Taco soup is a hearty, flavorful, and versatile one-pot dish packed with healthy ingredients, perfect for a comforting and satisfying meal. Vegetarian-adaptable and gluten-free.
Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers.Robert Green Ingersoll
This easy Taco Soup recipe is so good, and it is super easy to make! Chances are, you already have most of the ingredients in your pantry. There is no intense chopping or major prep work needed. Taco soup is a quick, easy meal that originates from the Southwest – filled with familiar Mexican flavors we love- think tacos in a bowl! The spices, beans, and veggies come together to create a totally satisfying meal that is perfect for busy days when you need something quick and tasty. We love meal-prepping this on Sundays for the week ahead. This is another versatile recipe that allows for plenty of customization based on your preferences and the ingredients you have on hand and can easily be made vegan.
Love South of the Border flavors? Try 45 Fresh & Tasty Mexican Recipes!
Table of Contents
Why You Will LOVE Taco Soup
- Easy to make: Taco soup is a convenient dish that can be prepared in just one pot, making it a time-saving option for busy days. Simply sauté the ingredients, add the seasonings and broth, and let it simmer until all the flavors meld together and dinner is served!
- Versatile and customizable: It can be easily customized based on your preferences and dietary needs. You can choose your favorite ingredients, such as ground beef, chicken, or plant-based alternatives, along with a variety of beans and vegetables.
- Rich and flavorful: The combination of spices, onions, garlic, and chili peppers in taco soup creates a rich and flavorful broth. It’s perfect for warming up on chilly days or when you’re craving a comforting meal.
- Healthy and nutritious: This soup is packed with nutritious ingredients like beans, tomatoes, corn, and vegetables. It’s a great source of fiber, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals. Plus, you can control the amount of sodium and adjust the toppings to make it even healthier.
- Endless topping options: One of the best parts about taco soup is the array of delicious toppings you can add to enhance the flavor and texture. From cheese to sour cream to avocado slices and crushed tortilla chips, you can get creative and tailor the toppings to your liking.
Taco Soup Ingredients
- Protein: You can use ground beef or substitute it with vegetarian alternatives like plant-based meat or crumbles, ground turkey, or ground chicken. Or skip it and add another can of beans.
- Beans: We love black beans but you can use any beans you prefer- pinto beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, or a combination.
- Corn: Fresh, frozen, or even canned corn kernels. If using canned corn, make sure to drain and rinse it before adding it to the soup.
- Tomatoes: You can use canned diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes.
- Onion and garlic: These ingredients are the depth to the broth and add flavor to the soup.
- Poblano Pepper: Mild green chili with nice flavor. Use green bell pepper or canned green chilies if you prefer.
- Jalapeno Pepper: Gives a kick of spicy flavor. Use less or skip it for mild.
- Taco seasoning: Making your own is pretty simple, our homemade Taco Seasoning is tasty! You can use store-bought taco seasoning. Pay attention to the salt content.
- Broth: Chicken, beef or vegetable. This adds a flavorful base to the soup.
- Toppings: Some popular toppings for taco soup include cotija cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, avocado slices, diced jalapenos, chopped cilantro, and crushed tortilla chips. Feel free to customize it with your favorite toppings.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How To Make Taco Soup
Step One- Saute onion for 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
Step Two- Add garlic, poblano, meat, taco seasoning and salt. Cook for 10 minutes on medium until meat is cooked through and lightly browned.
Step Three- Stir in corn, black beans, tomatoes, broth, salt, ancho chili powder, cumin and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. If the taco soup seems watery, continue cooking it down for just a few more minutes.
Taco Soup FAQS
Taco soup will keep 5 days in a sealed airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 months.
Yes! Simply use plant-based crumbles for the meat, or double the beans or add more veggies.
Taco soup literally cooks in 30 minutes on the stove. You could crock pot it for about 2-3 hours on low, no longer than that as it may overcook it and get mushy.
A combination of spices- chili powder, cumin, powdered garlic, coriander, Mexican oregano, and chipotle powder or smoked paprika.
- Lentil Chili
- Vegan Chili
- Poblano Corn Chowder
- Pozole Rojo (Instant Pot or Stove top)
- 45 Fresh & Tasty Mexican Recipes!
Love this recipe? Please let us know in the comments and leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below the recipe card.Print
Taco soup is a hardy, flavorful, and versatile one-pot dish packed with healthy ingredients, perfect for a comforting and satisfying meal. Vegetarian adaptable and gluten-free.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (use less for less spicy)
- 1 pound ground meat; beef, turkey, chicken, or plant-based (or skip and add more beans)
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (see notes)
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped or canned green chiles
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 14-ounce can of black beans and the juice
- 14-ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes (fire-roasted adds more flavor)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth or beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt- adjust to taste!
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder or chipotle powder or chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Suggested Topping Options: cotija cheese, avocado, grated cheddar cheese, hot sauce, tortilla chips, pickled jalapenos, sour cream (or vegan sour cream), cilantro, fresh lime.
- Saute onion with avocado oil in a large soup pot for 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, meat, taco seasoning and salt. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat until meat is cooked through and lightly browned. (drain extra oil if desired- it does give a lot of flavor!)
- Stir in poblano pepper, corn, black beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, salt, ancho chili powder, cumin and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
This soup is mild to medium spicy. Add more or less jalapeno to taste.
We used low sodium beans and chicken broth.
Taco Seasoning:1/2 T. chili pwd., 1 T. each: ground cumin, coriander, granulated garlic or garlic powder, 2 t. Mexican oregano, 1/4– 3/4 teaspoons ground chipotle powder (or smoked paprika or cayenne pepper), 2 t. salt, 1 t. sugar, 1/4– 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper. Mix together.
You can use a store-bought packet of taco seasoning. Note whether it contains salt and adjust the recipe if needed. 1 ounce packet = 3 tablespoons.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 474.8 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 16.6 g
- Cholesterol: 48 mg
Keywords: taco soup, taco soup recipe, easy taco soup, southwest taco soup, best taco soup, vegetarian taco soup, vegan taco soup