The BEST Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup – made from scratch, in a fraction of the time! Delicious and healthy, loaded with chicken and veggies, this soup will warm you to your bones! Can also be made on the stovetop or slow cooker! With a video!
Hey friends, I’m so excited to share this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with you! Full of flavor it can be made in a fraction of the time- perfect for busy nights. Delicious and hearty, it is loaded with chicken and veggies, so comforting and soul-warming!
Perfect for cool fall and winter days this version is highly adaptable. Make it with dry beans, canned beans or no beans at all, it’s totally up to you. Top it with cheese and sour cream, or keep it dairy-free and add avocado. Make it as spicy as you want! Lots of options here friends!
The best part is after you saute the onions, you can just dump everything else in the pot and let the pressure cooker work its magic. No pressure cooker? No problem….make it on the stove or in a slow cooker (see recipe notes).
The nice part is you don’t even have to touch or cut the chicken, just drop it in whole. You can use fresh or frozen boneless, skinless thighs or use chicken breast, up to you!
So easy! Very tasty and satisfying, and the left-over soup just gets better and better over the next few days- perfect for midweek lunches or dinners.
Chicken Tortilla Soup!| a 60-second video
How to make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Set the Instant pot to the Saute function. Saute onions in the oil while you prep the garlic, carrots and celery. Add them to the pot, and saute.
- Add the diced tomato, green chilies, chicken thighs (whole), dry black beans ( or canned, drained), chicken stock, water, salt and all the spices.
- Give a good stir, and set the Instant pot to pressure cook on high. If using dry black beans, pressure cook 25 minutes. If using canned black beans, pressure cook for 14 minutes (same for either fresh or frozen thighs).
- Manually let the pressure out, covering steam with a kitchen towel.
- Shred chicken thighs with two forks. Squeeze with a generous amount of lime juice and taste for salt, adding more if necessary- especially if you used dry beans, you will need to add more.
- Divide among bowls and top with tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, scallions or avocado and cilantro. Add hot sauce for added heat.
Homemade tortilla chips:
For the healthiest, tastiest tortilla chips, spray strips of fresh tortillas with olive oil spray and a sprinkle of salt, and bake until crisp, or feel free to use store-bought tortilla chips, or leave them off completely for a lower carb version.
When the soup is done, shred the chicken, right in the pot with two forks.
Feel free to add corn or beans in this recipe- or both!
Tortilla Soup Toppings:
Make sure to garnish the Instant Pot Tortilla soup with either avocado or sour cream, and a squeeze of lime and fresh cilantro! The garnishes really make this! Garnishes: avocado, optional cheese (cotija or shredded), sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips, fresh jalapeño or hot sauce for heat.
More recipes you may like:
- Our top 25 Instant Pot recipes from around the Globe
- Feel Better Chicken Soup
- 20 Healing Broth Based Soups!
- Mexican Noodle Soup! (vegan-adaptable)
- Turmeric Detox Broth (customizable)
So simple, so easy. So tasty! Make this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup and save the left-overs for mid-week meals.
Have a delicious week!