This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
A delicious recipe for Pozole Rojo (Red Pozole) that can be made in an Instant pot or the stovetop. A healthy, delicious, Mexican-inspired weeknight dinner that can be made in 30 minutes! Gluten-free!
This hearty Mexican soup called Pozole Rojo is simple to make and super delicious! It will leave you feeling satisfied and full without being loaded up with fat or calories.
In this recipe, I’ve substituted chicken instead of traditional pork. And the best part? It can be made in an instant pot or on the stovetop in a short amount of time.
The soup actually tastes better and better over time, so make a batch ahead for midweek meals. You will feel comforted in knowing you have something nutritious and delicious waiting for you at home, when time feels short.
Looking for a green Pozole? Our Pozole Verde is incredibly flavorful too – made with tomatillos!
What is Pozole?
Pozole is a traditional Mexican stew or soup, typically made with hominy, braised pork and chilies. There are red versions called Pozole Rojo, made with dried red chilies., and green versions called Pozole Verde made with fresh green chilies.
In this version of Pozole Rojo Pollo, we are using dried red chilies to build the flavor. Instead of pork we are lightening it up a bit with chicken.
What type of Hominy to use?
In this recipe, use canned hominy or dried hominy that has been pre-cooked. You don’t want to use the cooking liquid of dried hominy in the soup itself – so if using dried hominy, drain this off and be sure to read the recipe notes. I will say, I’m partial to dried hominy because I love the toothsome texture. But the canned hominy is just fine too. We do it both ways at home! Using canned is obviously faster and more easily accessible.
Instant Pot Pozole Rojo!| 60-sec video
The Chicken Pozole is so easy. I love its heartiness and flavor.
How to Serve Pozole:
Fresh toppings give pozole such a great texture- they are a must!
- Shredded cabbage
- Thinly sliced onion
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
How to store Pozole?
Pozole will keep for 5 days in the fridge (if properly cooled), or freeze for up to 6 months.
More recipes you may like!
- Pozole Verde (aka Green Pozole)
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Mexican Noodle Soup
- 30 Fresh & Tasty Mexican Recipes!
- Our 25 Best Instant Pot Recipes | Easy Pressure Cooker Meals
On the homefront: Have I ever told you that September is my favorite month of the year? I love how cool and delicious the night air feels. And I especially love the transition into cooking warmer things like soups and stews. There is something so cozy about it, so soothing in a way. Not just the eating… but the cooking itself. Cooking can be so comforting. So grounding, especially this time of year.
It’s a lovely thing to feel, simply being present with the task at hand, just being with the onions, when you are chopping them. Just being with cooking itself. Like a meditation, relaxing, mind-clearing. A gift.
Take the moments when you can…
A delicious, authentic recipe for Pozole Rojo made with chicken that can be made in an Instant Pot or on the stovetop. A healthy, delicious, Mexican-inspired weeknight dinner that can be made in 30 minutes! Gluten-free!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4–6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder, more to taste
- 2 lbs chicken whole thighs (skinless, boneless)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3–4 cups cooked hominy -2 to 3 cans drained, or use pre-cooked dried hominy, see notes
- 1 dried Mexican Guajillo Pepper ( feel free to experiment with other Mexican dried chilies)
- juice from one lime ( 2–3 tablespoons)
Optional Toppings: avocado, lime wedges, jalapeño, shredded cabbage, thinly sliced onion, radish, grated cheese or Mexican sour cream.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Set instant pot to “Saute” function ( If cooking on the stovetop see notes)
- Heat oil and add onion and garlic, stirring. Once tender and fragrant, add green chilies and tomato paste. Add chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano and ground chipotle.
- Add chicken, broth and cooked hominy.
- If adding the dried chilies, break them in half and shake out the seeds. Either crumble/tear into small pieces or cut into small strips with kitchen scissors. If you have time, toast them in a dry skillet first to release their oils- or if not just add them in like that.
- Give a good stir and set instant pot to high pressure, for 14 minutes.
- Naturally, release the pressure, and using two forks, shred the chicken.
- Add the lime juice. Adjust spice level and salt. If your hominy was not salted, you will most likely need more. As this sits on “warm”, flavors will meld and get better. Leftovers, even better!
- Serve with avocado, lime, jalapeño, shredded cabbage or radish, and sour cream.
Stovetop Instructions: To cook on the stovetop, just follow the same instructions above using a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Then simmer the soup (covered) for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken thighs pull apart easily with a fork. After shredding the chicken, simmer for a few more minutes, adding lime juice, and adjusting salt to taste.
Originally I tried making this with dried hominy and it didn’t cook all the way through. Then I read that you should discard the water that dried hominy cooks in or soaks in. So I ended up using dried hominy that I cooked earlier (draining the cooking liquid). I loved the texture of the dried hominy best – a little heartier and toothsome.
For a thicker soup, you could blend half or a third of the hominy with some broth. I prefer brothy soups, but I know, not everyone does. 😉
For a brothier soup, feel free to add 2 more cups of chicken stock, adjusting salt to taste.
Chicken thighs offer the best flavor here but if you prefer chicken breasts, lower pressure cooking time to 8-9 minutes.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 319
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 566.8 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.8 g
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Protein: 32.6 g
- Cholesterol: 142 mg
Keywords: pozole rojo, pozole recipe, pozole, the best pozole recipe, chicken pozole recipe, instant pot pozole, instant pot chicken pozole recipe, instant pot chicken soup, mexican chicken soup, hominy recipes