Baked Tandoori Chicken (or Tofu) with “clean-out-your-fridge” veggies and flavorful tandoori marinade, all cooked on a sheet-pan. Delicious, healthy recipe! Vegetarian Adaptable!
You have been telling me three things –first, you want some adaptable recipes that can accommodate both vegetarians and meat-eaters living under your same roof. Second, you would like recipes that can accommodate a random array of vegetables, pulling them together into a cohesive meal. And third, you are still very short on time. 😉
I hear you… and this is Baked Tandoori Chicken is for you! Make this with chicken or tofu….or some of each, and all the stray veggies you can find! Just 15 minutes of prep and then into the oven it goes to bake. Voila! So easy and full of soul-satisfying, Indian flavors, perfect for fall.
Here are two different versions….one with chicken and a wide array of veggies (above) and then below it’s made tofu and winter squash.
Really the possibilities are endless here friends.
Use what you have on hand. If you are worried that your veggies will take longer than your chicken- you can always remove the chicken and continue cooking the veggies.
But first things first.
Whip up the flavorful yogurt-based marinade in the blender and toss it over your chicken or tofu. Reserve a little for basting. While it marinates, prep the veggies.
Prep one layer of veggies- sweet potatoes, pumpkins, carrots, cauliflower, peppers, zucchini, parsnips, butternut, onions or any roast-able veggie. Cut into ½ inch thick pieces so they all cook in the same amount of time.
Place the marinated chicken and/or tofu on top leaving a little room for the veggies to breathe.
When it comes out it will be fragrant and perfectly cooked. It takes about 40 minutes of baking time.
How good does this look? On one side is tofu, on the other, chicken. Perfect for mixed households!
Even though the tofu was on my side of the sheet-pan, Brian crossed the invisible line and veered over here too. The tandoori tofu is really tasty, even meat-eaters will want to try it.
You can of course bake this in 2 separate pans, but this is how we do it here.
Baked Tandoori Chicken (or Tofu) with “clean-out-your-fridge veggies” and flavorful tandoori marinade, all cooked on a sheet-pan.
Give it a whirl, leave your feedback in the comments below!
Hope you are having a beautiful weekend!
Baked Tandoori Chicken (or Tofu) with “clean out your fridge” veggies. Serve over basmati rice, with Cucumber Raita and Indian Naan Bread. Updated 7/2020
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt whole milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 fat garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons paprika (not smoked)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2- 2 pounds chicken thighs (boneless, skinless) OR tofu “filets” about 1 inch thick
- 1 layer of vegetables, sliced or diced ½ inch thick (carrots, winter squash, sweet potato,onion, cauliflower, zucchini, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, parsnips …etc.)
- olive oil
Garnish: cilantro, scallions, cilantro mint chutney
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Place all marinade ingredients together in a blender. Blend until smooth. Set 1/4 cup aside.
- Place chicken or tofu in a bowl ( if using both, use separate bowls) and pour remaining marinade over top reserving the 1/4 cup for basting. Set chicken/ tofu aside.
- Cut veggies to roughly ½ inch and place on a parchment lined sheet-pan. You want them fairly similar in thickness so they cook in about the same amount of time. Toss veggies with olive oil, salt and pepper and spread out.
- Place marinated chicken/tofu over the veggies, spooning a couple teaspoons of the marinade over the veggies if you like. Go light.
- Bake 25 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- Baste the chicken and tofu with a little more of the remaining marinade. Bake 10 -12 more minutes or until chicken is done and veggies are tender.
Keywords: baked tandoori chicken tandoori Bake, baked tandoori chicken, vegan tandoori, tandoori tofu, tandoori chicken in the oven