A simple delicious vegetarian recipe for Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli Sauce – full of flavor and nutrients!
We rise by lifting others. ― R. Ingersoll
After taking a week-long cooking class in Italy, a friend brought back this traditional Tuscan recipe with him and made it for his wife. Truth be told, when she first described it, how the broccoli was cooked down and melted into a sauce, I had some reservations. The thought of mushy broccoli seemed really off-putting, but as she continued describing how luscious and creamy the broccoli sauce actually became, the way the orecchiette pasta cradled it so perfectly, my interest was piqued.
So this became our dinner last night, and I have to say, it was delicious! And a whole lot of broccoli went into this!
Watch the quick video to see how easy it is!
I used a whole 12 ounce bag of broccoli florets, cut into smaller pieces and then steamed until tender.
Into a pan it went, along with garlic, olive oil and veggie ( or chicken) stock, until it fell apart, melted, and cooked down into a sauce.
Add the cooked pasta and taste for salt. Add a little warm pasta water if you like it more saucy. I love to garnish with lots of chili flakes, lemon zest and grated pecorino cheese.
Orecchiette pasta holds the broccoli sauce like a little scoop.
Sprinkle with parmesan or romano cheese which will add both flavor and depth.
Lemon zest will give this a delicious brightness, and a tiny drizzle of truffle oil will elevate!
Full of great broccoli nutrients and flavor, Orecchiette with Broccoli Sauce should be on your next menu plan!
Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli Sauce
Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli Sauce – a simple vegetarian pasta dish hailing from Tuscany that is easy to make, healthy and oh so delicious!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: vegetarian main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- 12 ounces broccoli florets- cut or broken into very small florets about equal size
- 8 ounces short pasta- orecchiette pasta, penne, rigatoni, etc
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- generous pinch chili flakes
- generous pinch salt and pepper, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon miso paste ( or sub 1–2 mashed anchovies)
- 2 cups veggie broth or chicken broth
- Garnish: grated parmesan or pecorino cheese, lemon zest, chili flakes, fresh basil ribbons, toasted pine nuts, toasted bread crumbs, truffle oil or kalamata olives- all optional.
- Steam small broccoli florets until very tender (easily pierced with a fork)and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to directions, and save some hot pasta water when you drain.
- In a large pan, saute the garlic and chili flakes in the olive oil, over medium heat until fragrant and golden, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the miso paste (or anchovy), then add steamed broccoli, salt, pepper and the 2 cups broth.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and start breaking apart the broccoli with a metal spatula into tiny pieces. As it cooks it will get easier to break apart. You want the broccoli to basically melt down into a “sauce”. Continue simmering gently on low heat until half of the liquid evaporates and it becomes the consisancy of a thick sauce, about 10-15 minutes.
- If it seems watery and separated, just keep cooking it down. It won’t be smooth- but just broken down and very very tender.
- Add the pasta. Toss well. Add more pasta water if you like it a little more ” saucy.” Taste for salt, adding more along with pepper, chili flakes and lemon zest.
- Divide among bowls and top with any of the garnishes you like. Grated Parmesan or pecorino adds depth and salt, lemon zest adds a nice brightness, which I highly recommend and a drizzle of truffle oil elevates.
Sometimes I’ll halve the pasta (if cooking for two) and make this with the same amount of broccoli sauce, boosting the broccoli part. Just sayin’.;)
Keywords: Orecchiette Pasta, Orecchiette, broccoli pasta, broccoli pasta recipes, orecchiette pasta recipe, broccoli recipes, vegetarian pasta recipes, healthy pasta recipes, vegetarian broccoli pasta