Kimchi Burritos! A 20-minute, vegetarian dinner recipe, loaded up with healthy veggies, black beans, leftover rice and flavorful kimchi! Korean-inspired burritos that are easy and delicious! Vegan adaptable!
I’d like you to meet my new favorite quick and easy weeknight dinner – Kimchi Burritos! Even though they are super simple to make (especially if you have any leftover rice laying around) they are flavor bombs! Bursting with so much deliciousness- I can’t wait for you to try these!
I have a confession. These started in yoga. Yep, I have to admit, I was having a hard time focussing on my breath. My mind kept leaping forward and thinking about dinner and all the leftover rice from last night’s Thai food.
Wonder and wondering what to make with it… and boom! Right there in the middle of down-dog, the answer came- KIMCHI Burritos!!!
I love it when that happens. Divine inspiration. 😉
It starts with sauteing onion and bell pepper in a skillet. Keep in mind, the smaller you chop things, the faster those things cook. Just sayin’.
TIP: Using leftover rice makes this incredibly fast to make. So always save your rice!
And if you don’t, just go buy some, preferably in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. It is so good for you!
Chop 1/2 cup kimchi into small a small dice, so there are no big chunks.
Add the drained black beans, the rice and the kimchi to the sauteed onions and peppers and give a stir.
Why this works: The flavorful kimchi infuses the whole dish with incredible depth and flavor!
Add shredded cheese and some scallions. You can use meltable vegan cheese.
I will say the cheese is extremely good in this!
Stir until it is all melted together, then fill the warmed tortillas.
The Kimchi Burrito filling will be enough for 3-4 burritos.
NOTE: These can also be made ahead and refrigerated, then reheated for lunch.
Fast, easy, delicious Kimchi Burritos- put them on your list for when you have leftover rice. 🙂
Let me know how you like these guys in the comments below. And be sure to check recipe notes for some adaptions for meat-eating folk. 🙂
More Kimchi Recipes you may like:
- Kimchi Noodles
- Kimchi Soup with Shiitakes, Tofu and Kale
- Kimchi Fried Rice
- How to Make Kimchi! A Quick Easy & Authentic Kimchi Recipe
- 1–2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup rice (leftover rice works great here!)
- 1/2 cup kimchi, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed, strained
- salt to taste (I use 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1–2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup shredded cheese or meltable vegan cheese.
- optional garnishes: hot sauce (or sriracha ), sour cream or vegan sour cream, cilantro.
- 3 to 4 10-12-inch tortillas, warmed or lightly toasted until soft and pliable.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and bell pepper until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add rice, kimchi and black beans, stirring to combine.
- Season with salt and scallions.
- Taste, making this spicier if you like (add sriracha or chili garlic paste) or add more chopped kimchi.
- Add cheese to the pan and gently melt, stirring for about one minute until melty and stringy.
- Divide filling into the center of the warm tortillas, feel free top with sour cream, hot sauce, cilantro and wrap up into a burrito.
- Serve immediately!
- Kimchi will vary in the spice level. If you are sensitive to heat, start conservatively and make sure to dice it into small pieces. You can always add more to taste. I used 1/2 cup kimchi that was “medium” spicy, and the burritos turned out mild in heat but super flavorful.
- Instead of the black beans, you could add ground meat ( beef, chicken, turkey) – cooking it with the onion and bell pepper, or use leftover baked chicken breast or rotisserie chicken. Use about. 1 – 1 1/2 cups- and make sure to season well.
- Instead of rice, you could use cauliflower rice.
- These can be made ahead and reheated for lunch.
Keywords: kimchi burrito, korean burrito, vegetarian korean burrito, vegetarian burrito, vegan burrito recipes, kimchi burrito recipe, vegan korean burrito