I will love the light for it shows me the way. Yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. ~Og Mandino
Watch How to cut a Pomegranate | 2 min video!
To balance out traditionally heavy holiday dishes, I purposefully left out the cheese and nuts from this salad, but if feeling so inclined, roasted pistachios could work well here. So would crumbled goat cheese.
The Difference between Fuyu and Hachiya persimmons:
- Fuyu persimmons are distinguished by their flat bottoms and squat shape, and are at their best when just slightly soft. They will ripen after being picked, so allow them to sit on the kitchen counter for a couple of days until their flesh gives to the touch just a little. Fuyus are commonly eaten raw, often peeled ( but not always) and sliced and added to salads or salsas. If thinly slicing, the skin is not too noticeable. This is up to you. Fuyus are also great roasted.
- Hachiya persimmons are oval and elongated, like the shape of an acorn. They are mouth-puckeringly tart unless meltingly ripe. Unripe, they are full of tannins, almost like eating a very green banana skin, if you can imagine that. Totally inedible. But ripe hachiya persimmons are silky soft on the inside with a luscious jelly-like quality, perfect for scooping out with a spoon or in baking bread and cakes. Hachiya persimmons are not the ones you want for this salad. But if wanting to experiment with them, let them soften on the counter until they are very tender to the touch, skin darkened and almost wrinkled. If they look perfect on the outside, it’s pretty safe to say, they are still unripe.
Persimmon Salad with shaved fennel, butter lettuce, pomegranate seeds, and a bright citrus dressing. Perfect for the holiday table! Vegan and Gluten-free.
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1–2 Fuyu persimmons, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 8 oz butter lettuce
- ¼ Cup pomegranate seeds
- ⅛ C pistachios (optional)
- ⅛ C crumbled goat cheese or feta ( optional)
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or jar. Set aside.
- Toss butter lettuce, fennel and onion with some of the dressing ( you may not need all).
- To platter the salad– lay a bed of dressed greens on a platter. Scatter slices of persimmon over the dressed lettuce. Garnish with pomegranate seeds ( and pistachio and goat cheese if using), and spoon a little more dressing on the persimmons. Crack some pepper over top.
- To plate the salad -layer slices of persimmon with dressed lettuce fennel mixture, top with pomegranate.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 242
- Sugar: 17.7 g
- Sodium: 229.8 mg
- Fat: 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 6.5 mg
Keywords: persimmon salad, vegan salad, winter salad, butter lettuce salad, holiday salad, christmas salad, solstice recipes, persimmon recipes, persimmon salad, fennel salad