Snappy roasted hazelnuts add backbone and earthiness to the slaw and their subtle sweetness pairs deliciously with the dates in such an unexpected way. Dates and hazelnuts… a good combination! Not only is this recipe vegan and gluten free, and raw, it tastes great, and can be made in 20 minutes flat.
Finely slice the brussel sprouts, starting at the top, and discarding the hard bottoms.
Make sure to purchase seedless dates. Slicing them will give you a workout… it’s a little tough, but it will be worth it.
A tip. When crushing nuts, put them in a ziplock bag, removing as much air as possible, and roll over them with a rolling pin. If they won’t roll easily, give a few initial whacks to break them up first. It’s kind of fun.
- 1 lb brussel sprouts ( about 4 Cups, sliced and packed)
- 1 cup unsalted roasted hazelnuts
- ¾ cup chopped seedless dates
- 1/4 C finely diced red onion
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/4 C apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 C Real Maple syrup or honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper- plus more to taste
- Cracked pepper to taste
- Orange zest of one orange
- Finely slice brussel sprouts, beginning at the top, and work down towards ends, discarding hard ends. Place in a bowl.
- Slice dates…this is a little of a chore, be patient, add to bowl.
- Crush roasted hazelnuts, add to bowl.
- Finely dice a 1/4 cup of a red onion, add to bowl.
- In a small bowl – whisk the oil, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, cayenne and pepper.
- Pour dressing over slaw and mix in well.
- Mix in orange zest saving a little for the top as garnish. Enjoy!
Keywords: brussel sprout salad, brussel sprout salad recipe, best brussel sprout salad, brussel sprout slaw, how to shred brussel sprouts