This shaved Brussels Sprout Salad recipe is so fresh, tasty and nourishing! Easy to make ahead, this hearty winter salad is perfect for weekday lunches, fall gatherings or the holiday table.
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts (about 4 cups, shredded, packed)
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roasted
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion (see notes)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup real Maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper- plus more to taste
- Orange zest of one orange
- black pepper to taste
- With a sharp knife, finely slice brussel sprouts, beginning at the top, and work down towards ends, discarding hard ends and place in a bowl. Alternately, shred, using the grater attachment of a food processor.
- Slice dates (pitting if needed), and add to a large bowl along with chopped hazelnuts and red onion.
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, cayenne, and pepper in a small bowl. Mix together with the salad.
- Mix in orange zest saving a little for the top as garnish. Enjoy!
To tame the bite of raw onions soak them in salted water for a bit, then add them to the salad.
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container.
To roast the hazelnuts, place on a sheet pan and toast in a 350 oven until golden and fragrant, 10-15 minutes.
When crushing nuts, put them in a ziplock bag, remove as much air as possible, and roll over them with a rolling pin. If they won’t roll easily, give a few initial whacks to break them up first.
- Serving Size: ¾ cup
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 27.8 g
- Sodium: 117.7 mg
- Fat: 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.7 g
- Fiber: 6.1 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Brussels sprout salad, Brussels sprout salad recipe, shaved brussel sprout salad, best brussels sprout salad, brussel sprout slaw, how to shred brussel sprouts