Cabbage Mango Slaw- this healthy, detoxing recipe is low in fat, vegan and gluten-free. Makes a delicious summer side…or perfect in Caribbean Shrimp Tacos!
This refreshing Caribbean Cabbage Mango Slaw with chilies, cilantro, red onion, and the juice of orange and lime, started off being a humble side-kick for my next recipe, Caribbean Shrimp Taco’s, but since then, has quickly risen in importance to justify it as a stand alone. I love its healthy clean tropical flavors and crunchy texture. And it’s so versatile perfect as a healthy side salad for a summer BBQ, adding brightness to heavy meals. It’s delicious in pulled pork sliders, or on a crispy fish sandwich, or simply served alongside black beans and rice, for a healthy vegan dinner. It also keeps for days! Simple to make, clean and detoxing, this salad is one to add to your summer repertoire!
Look at all these fresh ingredients!
Make sure to pick a ripe mango that is NOT too soft, just barely ripe. Peel with a veggie peeler.
Cabbage, mango, onion, cilantro, jalapeno all go in the bowl with the orange zest, orange juice and lime juice, then just gently mix.
Serve as a side dish…. or try it in these flavorful Caribbean Shrimp Tacos!
Caribbean Cabbage Mango Slaw
Cabbage and Mango Slaw- this healthy, detoxing recipe is low in fat, vegan and gluten-free. Makes a delicious summer side…or perfect in Shrimp Tacos!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 6 servings
- ½ of one very small purple cabbage- cored.
- 1 mango-ripe but firm (not soft)
- ⅓ C chopped cilantro ( tender stems ok)
- ¼ C finely diced or sliced red onion
- ½ cup cilantro chopped, thin stems ok
- ½ to 1 jalapeno- finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 orange ( zest and juice)
- 1 lime
- ½ tsp salt
- Slice cabbage very thinly, then chop a few times. Add to large bowl.
- Peel mango with a vegetable peeler, then slice into thin strips, cut in half or thirds, place in the bowl.
- Add onion, cilantro, jalapeno.
- Zest one orange and add the zest to the bowl. Add the juice of half the orange, and half the lime ( saving the other half for the shrimp)
- Add oil and salt and mix gently to combine. Taste. Often I will squeeze in the other half of the orange.