Bursting with tropical island flavors, these Caribbean Shrimp Tacos are quick and easy to make – under 30 minutes – and surprisingly healthy! (Definitely going on the Detox Menu Plan.) Grilled tortillas hold the most flavorful shrimp seasoned with Caribbean Spices, and Cuban-Style black beans, then it’s all topped with a delicious cool and crunchy Caribbean Cabbage Mango Slaw . Together this summery trio- of grilled flavorful shrimp, cool crunchy slaw and earthy spicy black beans makes for the perfect combination of flavor and texture – and takes me far away to hammocks and palm trees and sandy white beaches.
The Mango Cabbage Slaw is really refreshing and tasty and often I’ll eat a bowlful of just this, with just a side of black beans or rice. Sometimes I’ll use it to top off a slider or crispy fish sandwich, or serve it as a side for a BBQ. Fresh mango gives this a little tropical sweetness, while jalapeno gives a little heat. The slaw is dressed with the juice of oranges and limes and it makes you feel as if you are on a sunny Caribbean Island, far far away.
Shrimp is peeled and cleaned and deveined. Pat it dry with paper towels. The add just enough oil to lightly coat…1 to 2 teaspoons. This will help the flavorful Caribbean Spice blend to adhere.
In a little bowl, mix the spices, salt and sugar together…then toss with the shrimp. Either have the grill fired up, or heat up a cast iron skillet. Normally we grill these because I prefer the smokey char, but today, a summer storm blew through, and so they were cooked in a skillet.
After they are cooked, give a little squeeze of lime.
For quick black beans, use canned. Trader Joes offers “Cuban Style” black beans that work especially well with this. Or simply season plain black beans with cumin, chipotle pepper, salt and cilantro.
Of course, for a special meal, slow cooked black beans seasoned with dried chilies, onion, garlic and spices would be especially good too. But today- we are all about fast.
So here is the whole spread: Caribbean shrimp, cuban style black beans, Cabbage Mango Slaw and tortillas…all of which can be put together in 30 mins flat!
Remember to toast the tortillas. Nothing can ruin even the most flavorful tacos more easily than cold, or untoasted tortillas. So either place them in a toaster oven or regular oven, right on the rack, or on the grill, or place right over a gas burner, using tongs to flip and rotate.
As for tortillas, my personal favorite are a corn and flour blend. They seem to hold up the best, and have great texture. I know some of you are gluten-free, in that case, go with corn.
When assembling the tacos, place a layer of beans on the warm tortillas, then slaw, then shrimp. Serve with limes and hot sauce.
That’s all you need for a healthy flavorful dinner!
Have a great weekend!!
Caribbean Shrimp Tacos
Flavorful Caribbean Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage Mango Slaw and Cuban Style Blackbeans…healthy and flavorful!
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 1 lb large raw shrimp- thawed, peeled and deveined
- 1-2 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp yellow curry powder
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp cayenne or chipotle
- Mango Cabbage Slaw- 2 Cups
- Cuban Style Black Beans ( 1-2 Cans)
- 6-8 toasted corn &flour tortillas ( 6 iinch)
- Pat dry shrimp really well. Drizzle with just enough oil to lightly coat- 1 to 2 teaspoons.
- Mix all spices, salt and sugar in a small bowl. Toss spices with shrimp, mixing well. Set aside and makeMango Cabbage Slaw.
- Grill the shrimp over medium high heat…or pan sear on med-high in a well oiled cast-iron skillet, until just cooked. Squeeze with 1/2 lime.
- Serve with grilled or toasted tortillas ( this is important, see above) and Cuban Style Black beans ( black beans seasoned with cumin, chipotle, salt and cilantro)- or purchase “cuban style” canned black beans from Trader Joes ( see post).